What’s it like fishing in a down pour?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I just emptied my bullhead tank and started to refill it when, without warning…I was instantly soaked by the rain.

I was soaked completly through….

So…since I’ve recieve a number of text messages of IDAers out fishing…just wondering what it’s like fishing in a down pour?

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

It is wet, miserable, and cold at times but it is still fishing and that is fun so we just bare with it..

siclone
    W. Lakeland

I saw ZERO boats at Beanies and none on the Croix tonight (after 8PM), but I wasn’t catching fish either…

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Thre was only a couple sprinkles here and there in Minneapolis. I think we had a 10 minute period of *very light rain*. When the weather was unstable, and evrything to the east and southeast was getting hammered by storms, the winds were gusting to 40 mph… the fish were biting. When the rain moved away, and the wind died.. the fishing died right with it(either that or its because Manny showed up).

Here is Audemp’s son Arman with his 1st flathead to start the night, this fish took a shiner

Soon after this fish hit Audemp’s rod like a freight train and nearly scared Sherry out of her chair with a screaming clicker sounding off a couple feet away, this fish took a small bullhead

Before we knew it, my son Tyler had his rod bending over and I got to watch him batte this fish mostly unassisted, it was his largest to date at 8lb 3oz, and educated him on *flathead rash* This fish took a few shiners on a hook

Tlyer got tired of waiting for other people to catch fish after a 35 minute wait.. so he decided to catch another. He was still a bit upset over the fathead rash of the 1st fish, so daddy helped hold the fish for the picture. This is his largest to date at 8lb, 10oz… once agan, it took a hook with a few shiners.

Soon after Tylers last fish, Aquajoe decided he wanted in on the action and put his baby bullhead in harm’s way.. And like Darth Vader(sp?), he played tug of war with this fish on his 9′ glow stick and let everyone know for miles he was battling a decent fish! This is his largest flathead to date(very well earned) at 20lb 10oz.

It was a great night guys! Great company.. kids running all over the place which somehow kept themselves busy and didnt get into too much trouble… and the weather was pretty decent other than a few stray rain drops.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Rained hard early, but died out. I was on the Croix late night and didn’t see one boat all night.
    Got some bumps throughout the evening, but at 10:30, BANG, fish on.
    I got pretty excited as I was fishing live suckers (5 FOW) for the 1st time, was hoping for a big flathead, turned out to be my first muskie ever.
    All 30″ of her released with out a pic.
    I will never fish without a camera again, you never know what you will get on the Croix!
    STCROIXER

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

My expierence with rain and storms is usually good. As long as I was prepared for it with rain gear. The channels and flats normally cooperate with me in those conditions.

Dave- Last saturday(the windy one)we ended up only getting one lil’ flat @ 8 lbs. The wind continued through the night and it got pretty chilly. We did have a couple other runs and one unbuttoned during the battle. So you didn’t miss much.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.