Weekend Report

• buschman
    Pool 2

Well we started the cat season a little early this year olny because water conditions just looked perfect. I really dont like to get infected from the slime quite this early with the walleyes still in full gear but what the hey! Our expectations werent that high friday night but I was hoping to see at least one fish. Here is monica with here first flat of the year She set the hook on this guy and it made a good 50′ run on her. I thought the drag wasnt tightend down so checked it and it was down as far as it would go on that 6500! I went skunked for the night and she ended with 2 fish in 3 hrs of fishing.

Saturday night we spent the night out on P3 and it was a beautifull day till that wind started up. We managed 2 smaller ones out of the boat and monica had one nicer one pull off. We seen some weather just to the south about 10:30 so decided it would be smarter to just soak baits off shore at camp. About 11:30 this guy decided it was my turn. My first big fish on the new Takota reel and boss rod… That is one nice combo for fighting fish…. Though earlier I decided to wrench that drag to the max and when I set the hood and he turned it just about put me in the water Little more hold than the 6500 I am used to!

We fished 6 areas this weekend on P2 and P3 and all showed signs of life. Our best baits were smaller bullies (5-6″) and a 6/0 octupus. Had 2 fish take the big bullies and they were the smallest ones we caught So the big bait=big fish formula got thrown out the window.
    Sorry no true weights agian. Went out last night and now have a good digital. We put them on the spring and monicas 41″ hit 38# and mine hit 41# but the net weights 2.4 lbs but to be honest I hate spring scales so is my last report without a digital in the boat. My fish went 42″ but dont try and tell Monica that

stevedobie
    Central, MN

Wow. Cool…. Great fish. Looks like a blast. I haven’t done that in years. Your making me want to start again..

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Wow.. about all I can say! Very nice fish for the both of you!

Thats proof enough its time to start spending more time on pool 2 for flatheads.. I am tired of scrubbing off that MN river mudline on the side of the boat anyhow!

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

WOW!!
    Great report, Joe. Monica looks like she was having a great time. You got me primed for tonight’s cat trip. I’m hoping the St Croix flats have turned on too.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Nice fish! Did they come in the main channel? Wingdam? Timber?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nice couple of nights for you! Those are some nice fish to show for 2 nights fishing.

After I caught one Saturday I decided to throw my biggest bullhead on. At the time I wondered if that was a bad move. Now your report has got me really second guessing that decision.

larry_haugh
    MN

Nice fish Mates!!!!
    Cool pics sounds like a great time by both.
    thanks for sharing.

buschman
    Pool 2

Thanks guys!! I caught mine inbetween a set of wingdams on a nice transition from the main channel rubble to rock. Maybe 15fow but theres a really nice current seam there and the rock breaks right up to 9 fow. Monicas was caught in a similar area but the transition went from sand to rock. I really dont look for wood cover but there usually seem to be some in the area. And most of it is under water. Alot of the wingdams on P2 have a forest down in the back side scour but its impossable to fish. We have more luck finding there route to the food and either fish the food or that travel line to it. These areas also hold alot of other fish than cats usually. And more times than not those other fish are the food I look for . . Down on P3 we did catch 2 fish and miss one on the back side of some rocks in about 24 fow. The two we caught were small but missed a nicer one so I havnt ruled deep water out but its usually a pretty sticky area. Hope that helps!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If we keep telling you nice fish, will you eventually give out GPS coordinates?
    I kid! Thanks for the follow up info. It’s nice when people are willing to divulge what type of structure and area they were fishing. Helps to unlock the mystery of these beasts a little and give people a starting point. Thanks again.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks for sharing. These “general” tips help keep the time on the water fishing rather than scouting.

audemp
    Wi

A couple a beauts! Monica’s almost looks like a clone from the one she caught last year around this time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.