Question On a reel?

• life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Hey guys. This weekend I was out buming around looking at reels and Like this OKUMA Convector CV-20DLX. It has all the bells and whistles and is built like a tank and works like a winch. What do you think of this? Does it seem like a good reel? I thought it did.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I use Okuma reels ,line counter & spinning reels and have not had an issue with them 3-4 years I’ve used them.
    I dont use them 4-8 hours a day like some do but I am out 3-4 nights a week and every weekend the weather allows me to.
    The ONLY ISSUE I have ever had is the STYLE of handle some models come with ,I prefer a rubber thumb grip and not the T-style,so I switch them out.\

I hope this helps you out

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. The Okuma reels are excellent reels, and its really hard to go wrong. The reel you are looking at is a great size for casting, its a hair larger than a 6500, but not as large as the 30 class reel which are considerably larger than a 7000, and adds a challenge to casting.

I would consider the reel you are looking at to be a very desirable reel for catfishing. It has an excellent power handle, te drag will get as tight as you could want it to without burning out, and the gear ratio is similar to a 6500(5:1/1?) which is a little quick for my preference, but the oversized power handle will reduce fatigue, and Okuma’s handleis also lower(closer to the rod) than other reels which also eliminates that feeling of cranking a *boat winch*.

I have used the next quality down of Okuma reels which are very similar to these you are looking at with good results that have the same basic characteristics as the reel your looking at. The only dislike I have is the graphite spool on the cheaper model, and casting isnt as smooth as it could be, but it still cast very well. The model you are looking at has the aluminum spool, and will smooth out the casting. The reels are capable of plenty of tension on the bushing cap for casting heavy baits, and it also comes in handy for the bait-clicker mode in current, or with big baits. These reels can be in clicker mode with almost no resistence to the line which can be a great feature.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Well I guess that settles that I’m going to have to buy the darn thing then this week sometime.

larry_haugh
    MN

Great insite!
    thanks for the rundown Dave.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Hey Dave! I just saw your guide page. I’ll have to sign up for a trip sometime with you. Looks like fun fishing the flats. That and I’ve never ever caught a sturgeon. Only saw them at Cabella’s !

Quote:

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. The Okuma reels are excellent reels, and its really hard to go wrong. The reel you are looking at is a great size for casting, its a hair larger than a 6500, but not as large as the 30 class reel which are considerably larger than a 7000, and adds a challenge to casting.

I would consider the reel you are looking at to be a very desirable reel for catfishing. It has an excellent power handle, te drag will get as tight as you could want it to without burning out, and the gear ratio is similar to a 6500(5:1/1?) which is a little quick for my preference, but the oversized power handle will reduce fatigue, and Okuma’s handleis also lower(closer to the rod) than other reels which also eliminates that feeling of cranking a *boat winch*.

I have used the next quality down of Okuma reels which are very similar to these you are looking at with good results that have the same basic characteristics as the reel your looking at. The only dislike I have is the graphite spool on the cheaper model, and casting isnt as smooth as it could be, but it still cast very well. The model you are looking at has the aluminum spool, and will smooth out the casting. The reels are capable of plenty of tension on the bushing cap for casting heavy baits, and it also comes in handy for the bait-clicker mode in current, or with big baits. These reels can be in clicker mode with almost no resistence to the line which can be a great feature.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.