Cat fishing tackle box

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

So…what’s in your catfishing tackle box this year?

I keep mine pretty clear of useless stuff.

80 pound Power Pro for leaders
    110 pound swivels
    10/0 Gamakatzu hooks
    2/0 Gamakatzu circle hooks for channels
    3 and 4 oz no -rolls sinkers
    3M’s tube of skeeter repellent
    120 inch tape measure
    135 lbs digital scale
    Couple – 3 wooden dowels for breaking off stuck hooks
    Long needle nose pliers
    Extra batteries for head lamps and camera
    Camera
    and I think that’s about it.

I do keep backups of most everything in the boat…just not in the tackle box.

audemp
    Wi

I just moved up to a small plano tackle box filled with;

10/0 gami
    8/0 gami circles
    2/0,3/0 and 4/0 circles for channels and sturgeon
    3m skeeter lotion skeeter lotion
    head lamp
    110 lb scale
    tape measure 6ft
    2,3,4 oz bank and no roll sinkers
    some small hooks and splitshot for catching bait.
    large floats

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I might add a pair of clear safety glasses to keep the bug out of your eyes on those trips in the boat.

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

I might add a pair of clear safety glasses to keep the bug out of your eyes on those trips in the boat.

I’ll second this.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

A 110 lbs Scale!?!?! I haven’t needed one of those here, only on my Tarpon fishing trip last year! WOW, here that is just amazing!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

no Sonny’s? Where did you find the sumo digital scale? My digitial goes to 55 and my spring goes over a hundred.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I’ll second this.

I finally put a pair in because I kept forgetting them!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Also, a fillet knife for cutbait.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

What? No one else listed a clonk?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

We ruined a 50 lb scale last year with a 61.25 lb fish and net. My Favorte Wife found a 135 digital on line some place…$15. for the scale and $15. shipping.

Sonny’s is in the boat…just not in the tackle box…I hope.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

My Favorte Wife found a 135 digital on line some place…$15. for the scale and $15. shipping.

You think that’s bad? I just ordered a part for the FF’s (favorite fiance’s) car – $1.48 for the part, $7.95 for shipping

david_scott
    Twin Cities

My tackle box is a complicated… its several plastic bags holding various items I restocked this year! Someone stole my cat box

But… I will put together a new one soon the same way, I already have most items on hand..

Weights from 1-6 oz in reasonable quantity(not 50# of weight)
    Hooks, both circle and octopus hooks in all size incrememnts from 1/0 – 10/0.. lets face it, a 10/0 gamakatsu is overkill for a 6.5″ bullhead, a 6/0 or 7/0 is plenty. A 7″ bullhead on the other hand.. some of those get so chunky a 10/0 is barely enough The 10/0 works well for those desperate times using a sheephead for bait also.

Barrel Swivels.. I cant remember what size they are, but the american fishing wire company makes the bst swivels I have ever used. I have never broke one, even with 100# power pro.

Scales.. I have my rapala digital (50#),and a 112# spring scale for back up.

Measuring devices. I currently have a standard construction grade tape measure in the boat, and a fabric ruler for mesuring girth. I am eventually going to mount a 72″ ruler in the boat to cover all length measuring needs.

A leatherman tool goes a long ways in the cat box

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I carry a backpack with the following:
    Assorted weights, swivels, and hooks in a small Plano box.
    Needle Nose pliers and a Gerber multitool.
    Small cutting board and fillet knife for cut bait.
    soft-side six-pack cooler for bait.
    A couple slip-floats, some cheesecloth (for livers, if necessary), and a couple tube worms for stink bait (should the need arise).
    Another small plano with small hooks, jigs, etc. for catching bait (I usually take my ultralight along if I’m low on cut bait).
    50lb digi scale (Rapala), camera, spare knife, and a candy bar (sometimes I get hungry).
    There’s also a bunch of random stuff in the bag that hardly ever gets used, but as soon as I take it out, I wind up needing it.
    It all stays in the pack, next to the door, so I can go from zero to fishing in minutes.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The backpack is a great idea for shore fishing, as I did the same thing on Saturday. I was able to stuff the headlamp, a plastic tray from the tacklebox, weights, scale, camera, tripod and the glowstick broken down. that left my hands free to carry a small waste basket that I transfered a few bullies from the cooler that I kept in the back of the truck. The walk was effortless and my only regret was not packing a couple cans of beverages.

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

The next thing for me is a bike trailer. I usually bike to my cat holes, which is why I use the pack. The trailer will allow me to carry a net, a chair or two, a bucket of bullies, and maybe a keg.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Have any of you guys tried the ThermoCell? Skeepter repeller?

It’s not a total replacement for rub on “repellent”, but it sure works well for keeping them buggers at bay…more so in calm wind.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I have to second or third the hooks for catching bait & some powerbait in one of the little bottles to get them interested.

I put snelled hooks in little ziplocks from the craft store. It speeds you up a bit.

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Have any of you guys tried the ThermoCell? Skeepter repeller?

It’s not a total replacement for rub on “repellent”, but it sure works well for keeping them buggers at bay…more so in calm wind.

I use it. But need some propane, for mine. Better stock up soon the bugs are starting to brew.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

$5.99 Sportsmans Warehouse…just bought three 2 packs.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.