Who’s using the new red Power Pro

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

And what do you think?

How’s it work at night…is my big question.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

I just spooled it up today.

I’m guessing the line will be difficult to see in the dark.

It matched my reel and pole so I bought it….

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I may need to buy some as well!! It would match my 6500 perfectly!!

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

Quote:

It matched my reel and pole so I bought it….

Thats the same reason my buddy just spooled it up on his channel setup. We’ve been targeting flats lately and I don’t think he’s tried it.

I got the green on a couple set ups, but my new setup(Quantum Big Cat & Black Cat Garcia) I spooled the yellow on it. It matches that setup pretty well too.
    I really like it. Great visibility.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Flaco, you sound like you got my setup, except I have a Quantum Salt Striker or whatever it is called. As for the red PP, I haven’t taken it out at night yet, but it’s turned my reel a nice shade of pink.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

turned my reel a nice shade of pink.

I didn’t really just read that…did I??

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

When you are a real man, you can say things like that and not worry.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

So…you’re going to edit your post??

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

So…you’re going to edit your post??

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I’ve been using the red Power Pro for a few months now. I picked up a spool of #30 for channel cat fishing. I have been very pleased with the results. It may just be coincidence, but I have been catching the most fish on that rod compared to others spooled with yellow, and another rod spooled with big cat(bright green mono).

I have been using the same rod for trolling cranks this year with excellent results. It has been outfishing all of my other rods.. yellow power pro, clear and low vis mono.

There is something about the red that works.. Yes, its hard to see at night, but shows up pretty good with white LED’s.. Another good note is.. it hasnt been fading as quickly as some of the other colors seem to fade, and it doesnt look pink!

I’ll give it a thumbs up

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Red, yellow, green…. Power pro is power pro. I like high vis yellow for night time. but I use whatever I have spooled and no worries here.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

WK, I certainly wouldn’t change now…but looking down the road I would consider it. But I have to be able to see it. Black lights are out for me…they make me afraid in the dark!

Dave, with a white light, would you say it stands out as good as yellow?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

For the record, the line hasn’t really faded for me and the line is not pink. Although I was a little worried that it wouldn’t hold up when I first started seeing the red on my reel.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

For what I usually do, it doesn’t matter because the bobber either goes or it doesn’t go. I have seen some cool black light setups but I’ve never used one.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

Dave, with a white light, would you say it stands out as good as yellow?

No, it doesnt stand out as good as yellow.. its a darker color than yellow… but it does stand out pretty decent in direct light white light, better as it breaks in a little bit. It might take an extra second to find the line in the light, but its visable once you see it(head lamps).

Keep in mind this is on 30# power pro, i dont have any heavier red line yet. I suspect that will be even easier to see with larger diameter. Red LED is worthless to detect red power pro. I was using the rod spooled with redlast night for slip bobber fishing for walleyes, with the white led headlamp, I could see well enough to undo the frequent tangles

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Musky guys hate it because the red dye comes off and gets all over your hands, clothes, and boat when casting. Might not be such a problem with bait fishing. Still, if the dye wears off what’s the point? (not that I see much of a point with red line in the first place…)

david_scott
    Twin Cities

John 23

You get that dye dust to deal with when the line is new. The dye doesnt adhere to the line becuase of what its made from(spectra). There is excess dye when they color the line, and that excess comes off quick. Eventually all power pro will turn a grey color when all the dye comes off. If the worst problem with a line is losing its color.. and no issues with loss of performance, I have no problem wiping off a little dust here or there.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

There is something about the red that works..

Thats the theory with Red line it’s supposed to be the most invisible line in water, I know the guys using cajun red swear by it.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I spooled up some Cajun Red last year and I swore at it more than I’d swear by it!

That stuff has wicked line memory!!!

larry_haugh
    MN

Im using the 65lb red PP. Works good so far with my big Flat being caught on it.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

You’re right on all counts, Dave, except that you can’t wipe the dye off your shirt and boat carpet when it gets wet. But why wouldn’t you just buy white line in the first place? I love TUF line for muskies. I’ve been using it for years and years. It’s great stuff.

hanson

I met a 27lb Flat & 32lb Flat this spring already that had no complaints against my trusty old standby Moss Green PP.

I am thoroughly convinced that line color really doesn’t matter when you are fishing in chocolate milk. Flats have eyes the size of dimes for a reason, they have other senses that are more adapted to eating and living in a river environment.

Now I do think that line color and how visible it is at night to the fisherman is very important. I’m a line watcher and a rod tip watcher, you have to be to detect the subtle bites. Detecting the subtle bites has been the difference between fish in the boat and getting skunked lately.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

I am thoroughly convinced that line color really doesn’t matter when you are fishing in chocolate milk. Flats have eyes the size of dimes for a reason, they have other senses that are more adapted to eating and living in a river environment.

Now I do think that line color and how visible it is at night to the fisherman is very important. I’m a line watcher and a rod tip watcher, you have to be to detect the subtle bites. Detecting the subtle bites has been the difference between fish in the boat and getting skunked lately.

Does this mean I should spool my new reel in the High vis yellow when I get it?

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Does this mean I should spool my new reel in the High vis yellow when I get it?

If you want to catch fish…… Yes… I boated my last 2 this weekend on my Hi-Vis.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.