Cats at night?

• Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Catfishing at night does a full or no moon effect the bite, and where the kitties might be?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Tom, others may disagree, but I would MUCH rather fish with no moon than a full moon.

Generally, during pre spawn, it just doesn’t matter…later it seems like the less light the better…In my opinion.

Here’s a video from last year for an example.

When the Moon Sets…<<

Three or four nights in a row…once the moon was lower than the tree tops…POW!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I would rather have no moon. catfish have an advantage when the light is minimal. They can hunt by taste. catfish feed at night and have a desire to eat daily. There are very few nights cats are not eating something somewhere. I think the moon has little effect on their stomachs rumbling. They are not nearly as sensitive to light conditions as a walleye for instance. Catfishing is more a do when you can kind of thing. Don’t let a full moon stop you.

catmando
    wis

Quote:

Tom, others may disagree, but I would MUCH rather fish with no moon than a full moon.

Generally, during pre spawn, it just doesn’t matter…later it seems like the less light the better…In my opinion.

Here’s a video from last year for an example.

When the Moon Sets…<<

Three or four nights in a row…once the moon was lower than the tree tops…POW!

DITTO give me a Dark BLACK NIGHT

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I hate full moons for catfishing. The fishing is always screwed up, and more often than not, nothing bites anywhere near usual times.

I have beeter success fishing daylight hours than with a full moon in the sky. It doesnt make much sense, but its a definate pattern in my success.

My most successful outings have been the 4 days leading to the new moon cycle, but often times the new moon, or the day after.. the fish do the same thing for a night or 2.. turn off. Why, I have no idea, I wish I knew.. but it is a consistant pattern for me.

Anything is better than a full moon!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

For clarification…I’m talking flatheads…as I believe Dave is too.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Thanks guys…I was talking about flatheads ( I should have clarified ). Go figure it would be better with no moon sure makes it tougher to get around on the river.

I really have a tough time judging distence at night with a spot when boating. It is amazing how I can get turned around where I am, when it is really dark out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.