• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

He didn’t say Uncle Phil.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

I was at work the other day and have been wanting to check out a park that we always drive by I believe it is called Minnesota riverfront park, it is between 103rd st and black dog rd on 35w, just North in burnsville. I stopped there and there was to mexicants fishing. I asked them if the were catching anything and than found out they didn’t speak English. there is a dam there where the water flows from black dog lake into the Mn River across from a boat launch. Has anyone fished this particular area before for any bottom feeders?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

What kind of reels were they using, Pepsi or Coke?

When you see people writing about the spillways at Blackdog, they are talking about those “dams”. There is another to the East near 77/Cedar avenue bridge.

There are a lot of sheephead in that area, although, where aren’t there a lot of sheephead in the area? There are definitely a good variety of fish that hang out down there. Carp are one of them. I have seen some nice ones pulled out down there.

Personally, I have never had much luck down there, I have better luck near there, but not right there. This morning I am hitting it for a few minutes before work. I wish I could pitch a ringworm out, because I wouldn’t be surprised if a few walleye were down there staging to spawn.

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

That to mexico last year that was what they were using.

Thanks mplspug for the info one last thing about there if you dont mind. if your driving along side black dog lake there is a bunch of sign saying like keep off wildlife refuge. can a person put a canoe in that little stream that gos to the dam and paddle on to black dog or you just cant fish it. Im thinking that might be a good spot to bowfish if there are carp of corse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

This topic just came up not too long ago. The general consensus was if you could get a canoe on there, you could fish it. I would make sure though and get a hold of someone at the Minnesota River Valley Wildlife Refuge.

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

i called that link and they said it was ok.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If you get out there, let us know how it goes.

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

I will but it wont be for at least another month. It looks pretty promissing but i have been mistaken many times before. It sure doesnt get much fishing pressure or at least i never seen anyone out there

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I think you might do alright carping though. It looks shallow, but I don’t know if it winter kills because it seems to always lose the ice pretty quick in the spring, even away from the plant. You never know, you might find some other fish that were stranded in floods in decent numbers that are untouched. It’s always worth a shot.

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

your getting me excited thinking about it, I got goose bumps and shivers down my spine my trigger release finger is twitching. I can see it now, me shooting so many carp, the conoe is over flowing with them I go over the weight limit and have to swim back to shore while pulling the carp barge with my teeth. O it so beutiful

gpbakken

Quote:

Actually, The gar came early in the AM.

shortly after we ran out of cut firewood and burnt the grilling table….

I will say, the “incident” was exciting, if not a little weird… Your agility after the aforementioned bumps was admirable!

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

mplspug I didnt see ya down at the cat gathering

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

CH, he was tangling…er fishing on the up stream side of me.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Yup Pug was there!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Without an Avatar, I have no idea who you were. And I guess with an avatar that just shows my back, you’d have no idea who I was. I had to ask Brian to identify some people.

Next year I am bringing a cheat sheet with pictures and names.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

…CP, I was trying to do you a favor…..

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Brian, I haven’t erased the picture yet. I know it’s actually fuschia, but it might as well be pink.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I blame it all on the FW. She said I could use her camera…but I had to keep the case on it…no matter how much crap I got.

No more…will I listen to her!

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

what the heck is an Avatar

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

See the handsome guy in the white shirt holding a cat next to my posts?? Mug shot…avatar…your picture next to your post.

ronzych
    Centerville,MN.

Quote:

Without an Avatar, I have no idea who you were. And I guess with an avatar that just shows my back, you’d have no idea who I was.

You don’t want to see the other side of him!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Your momma. Oh wait, that don’t work.

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

avatar boy do I feel like a dummy. hey do you guys ever use sheephead for cut bait?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I think most will say they’ve tried it and haven’t had very good luck…of course there are the few that have caught cat’s with them.

I don’t know why we, as a group haven’t found them to be better bait. I know I heard and seen a couple walleyes (5+ lbs ) have them in their tummy’s.

Pug doesn’t like it when we talk about sheephead for bait. He’s still thinking they are the MN State fish.

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

I know a spot on the st.croix where there is always shad I know it is illegal to snag fish but how do I catch them maybe on the fly fod or a small ice fly and uralarva under a bobber. or just stick with snagging. P.S. I dont have a throw net.

sorry for talking about cuting up mn’s state fish pug

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Cast nets are illegal in MN also.

You know, MN the state where nothing is allowed

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m going to have to check…but I believe snagging SHAD is legal in MN.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

sorry for talking about cuting up mn’s state fish pug

Meh! Not like there aren’t 200 for everyone cut up!

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

thanks Farmboy I know nothing about netting. Brian I read your post and just called the DNR and they said it is illegal to snag anything even shad. I frogot to ask about throwing rocks at them.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.