Summer Sturgeon Fishing on the Rainy River

• rschmidty

Hi All. After returning from our most recent Sturgeon trip to the Rainy a week ago, I’ve got the itch to get back up there. With my schedule, that probably doesn’t work until late July sometime.

I was wondering if anyone has targeted Sturgeon up there that time of year, and if anything is different in approach compared to the late April early May period.

Thanks in advance for any insight given.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Is the season open then? I know we looked this up while up last week. For some reason thought it closed on may 15th and didnt open again until late summer.

Seen people fishing them in the fall doing the same thing we do now.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Okay. Just checked the closed season is may 16th through june 30th.

rschmidty

Nice. Do any of you mess around with leader length at all? If so, have you found that certain lengths work better in certain conditions?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

More current, less leader. You want your bait to sit on the bottom, not flail about.
    I ran 12″ this past weekend.
    I run up to 2′ on the croix.

Bottom content also plays a part. Deep soft mud, long leader.

irishman

In regards to leader and wanting the bait to be on the bottom…I was reading that carp fisherman are into using leadcore leaders to keep the bait on the bottom. Is anyone doing that for sturgeon fishing? Google “leadcore leaders carp” and you will find all kinds of info on that. I am interested to hear if anyone has tried it for sturgeon.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Leadcore would be a great way to lose a big sturgeon…

I think you’re overthinking the simplicity of sturgeon fishing.

Size of the hook is generally enough weight to keep your bait on the bottom…Heavier current, run leaders short.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

This year on the rainy, my rod with a 4″ leader out fished the other rod. That is until I switched both over to 4″.

As said above, current and mud will dictate your leader length.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.