What was so special about this day???

• Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

I was looking through some pictures of a fishing outting this summer. On July 20th at 7 pm to 11:30 pm the catfish were pretty much jumping in the boat. By far the best fishing night we had all summer. What was so special about this night, water level, pressure? Water temp was 81 and we were just north of CR dam. Is there a weather website that I can go to, or can someone break it down for me?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Didn’t look to interesting weather wise, think you just were in the right place at right time. Good luck to you and your son next summer!

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

It was two days before the Full Moon.
    My experience has been that two days before a full moon
    or two days after a new moon are typically good fishing days.
    In addition
    Moonrise: 18:57
    Sunset: 20:54
    So your timing was spot on as well.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

It was two days before the Full Moon.
    My experience has been that two days before a full moon
    or two days after a new moon are typically good fishing days.
    In addition
    Moonrise: 18:57
    Sunset: 20:54
    So your timing was spot on as well.

Where do you find good history moon data?

Captainbrad
    Red River of the North

I took a look at the week leading up and went back through my catch records. A front had pushed on Friday which made for a fairly overcast day that Saturday which catfish like. (I did very well on Saturday as well) I see in your area that based on the time of day another small front was about to push through while you were catching those fish.

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

Sorry for such a late reply. Busy time of year, glad it’s over. I cant wait for next year. I ordered 4 of Brads book and will be using the info next summer. And I think I will try my luck under Plymouth ave bridge tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for all the post everyone.

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

On 7/18, I had an extrodinary day as well. That is the day I made my video featuring the Santee Cooper Rig. In about 4 hours (between 4 and 8 PM), we caught 30+ Channel Cats and a 32 pound Flat Head while trolling. I remember it being very bright and extremely hot that day and thought it was odd to have such good luck under those conditions. That’s the only thing different about that particular day…the heat. Don’t know that it really made a difference but something special was happening during that day.

L8R…Ken

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.