Just for you BK from Otter Tail

• Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

At hookset I’m thinking YES, this is a good one as we are sitting on a school of walleyes. After the third run I’m thinking great, a northern. After a minute, I’m thinking sturgeon maybe? You got it, not my biggest but my first one on Otter Tail….34″.

Pic is my uncle holding the fish….both kinda pre-historic!

Come and get ’em BK!

drew-evans
    rochester MN

wow thats awesome trev i would have never thought there would be sturgeon there…. have you herd of others being caught?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

wow thats awesome trev i would have never thought there would be sturgeon there…. have you herd of others being caught?

They are restocking that whole system with lakers. I do believe the DNR is asking anglers to report those caught on Ottertail.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

They’ve been re-intorducing them to Otter Tail and the entire Otter Tail river system in recent years. They first stocked Otter Tail in the late 90’s with approx. 15,000 and have continued different parts of the river system and the lake since.

I’ve heard of others being caught and saw one that had floated up on a neighbors beach last summer that was 54″. See them jumping a lot in the shallows in August.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hmmm…a 54″?

20+ year to reach 50″+.

Stocked in the ’90’s?

You sir have the beginnings of a new fishery with new customers!

Trev, you might want to check with the local DNR to see what they’ve found in the sampling nets.

I know the season is closed to targeting sturgeon in that system now, but MN is working on a all year state wide catch and release Lake Sturgeon fishery.

Get ahead of the game.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s really cool. Thanks for sharing.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Quote:

but MN is working on a all year state wide catch and release Lake Sturgeon fishery.

That would be awesome!

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

Uncle Keith looks cold and pre-historic in that picture!!

Gundy

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

This thread got me Googlin’ about the Otter Tail river, and now I really want to go fish it for channel cats and whatever else swims in it. Seems like a pretty cool river system!

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Cool pic. We had one jump right next to the boat Friday when we were out for a bit between the rain and wind.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Quote:

Hmmm…a 54″?

20+ year to reach 50″+.

Stocked in the ’90’s?

You sir have the beginnings of a new fishery with new customers!

Trev, you might want to check with the local DNR to see what they’ve found in the sampling nets.

I know the season is closed to targeting sturgeon in that system now, but MN is working on a all year state wide catch and release Lake Sturgeon fishery.

Get ahead of the game.

What are you trying to say Brian…. don’t all fisherman stretch the fish a little?

I did see the fish but was not the one doing the measuring. It was MUCH bigger than the 34″ I caught.

FYI – OT fish are on steroids so their growth rate is above the norm…..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Hmmm…a 54″?

20+ year to reach 50″+.

Stocked in the ’90’s?

No no…I’m saying that the time to grow a sturgi to that length is about right.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

In the article I read, they said they don’t think any of them are old enough to start breeding yet. It will be interesting to see if that population becomes self sustaining.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Trev,

Have you had many reports of people catching or actually fishing for them? I am going to be moving to the Staples area next summer and this would be something to try since it would be way closer than going to LOW or the St Croix.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

I don’t know that anyone has specifically targeted them yet. I did hear of a few caught the past 2 summers, and I’m sure there were way more caught than what I heard about.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Question for BK…. Given the mass amount of structure in Otter Tail, what type of structure would you look to first to try to hook one of these?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It’s a pretty new fishery Trev. I’m not sure I should guess at fishing locations.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Quote:

Question for BK…. Given the mass amount of structure in Otter Tail, what type of structure would you look to first to try to hook one of these?

Scan with the SI till you see fish the size of logs!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Old post.

I’m going up to Vacationland Resort Sept 21st to see if I can fish one of these fish they call Lake Sturgeon.

Anyone have any updates on locations to try in the fall. Breaching locations in the fall?

I’m guessing crawlers will be the bait of choice. <- That’s a question.

Any help is appreciated!

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

BK, did you see the recent video that Erik and the Outdoor report posted on Facebook. They were sturgeon fishing this last week somewhere in Ottertail county and got one.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sure did…but thanks. I talked with a few people up there. Pretty solid on where to catch them in spring.

I’ll try the river and then the mud flats. So far, that’s all I have.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.