First night out

• shawnil

Got out after some heavy storms for some bank fishing, first flathead trip since selling my boat last summer.

With planning and enjoying a couple weeks family vacation and a lot of work right before bit of a late start for me, always look forward to the good bite in June.

Started fishing a little before 10 pm, had to move to a second spot after about 30 mins with no action.

Went to a second deeper water spot, one I had kind of given up on boat fishing, stayed the rest of the night. Got maybe 4 hits with two good pickups. Landed one small flattie keeping the streak alive from my few trips last year. Four straight trips with at least one flathead caught.

There was a flurry of activity ’round about midnight, after I landed the one I got a good thump and load-up. Started reeling down and felt something heavy, seemed solid but then it seemed like it was in or on something, then pop. No fish. Not sure if I didn’t wait quite long enough or maybe it just spit the bait. Agony of defeat.

Had a couple bumps later fish just weren’t aggressive and wouldn’t load-up. Fished 3.5 hours, one flathead. Guessing a little under 24″ in about 6 FOW on ‘gill. Almost forgot, the best hits were coming on the tall white rod. My $5 swap meet special (Offshore Angler fiberglass rod)…seems to take a lot of hits!

my bank fishing setup

My live baits caught from the creek…’gills gone wild!!!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Looks comfortable Shawn, all a guy needs is a good pole, chair and a cooler. I’m thinking about going to a creek tonight that’s been treating us good since spring, my boy fixed the last package of catfish fillets this afternoon. Fillets and onions wrapped in aluminum foil and grilled over charcoal.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Can’t beat shorts weather! (Now that it’s finally here)

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Nice post Shawn, love the night fishing just you, nature and the unknown in the water.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Good job Shawn. That’s a nice looking little flathead in your picture. Good to see you’re still getting out fishing despite selling your boat.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.