What kind of anchor

• Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

I have a 16 foot aluminum boat, and I could not hold on very good on the river the other day. Anyone have a homemade one that works well, and maybe a picture so I can copy?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I have fluke anchor style they call it. Fish river quite a bit and only place I don’t get it to hold is sand. Lakes too. Just doesn’t work in sand other than that it is a champ. Pulls out easy enough of snaggy spots too.

BBKK
    IA

My buddy has some made from chunks of railroad rail. Things are a beast and hold very well in all bottoms. Those are the best homemade ones I have seen.

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

Thanks for the reply’s. I kinda wanted to keep it light so my 8 year old son could earn his keep on the boat and man the anchor, that way I don’t have to run back and forth every time we take a spot.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I have a 28lb Roloff Navy standard, and it holds my little river boat in about any river conditions. Fleet Farm has them for 49.95 but sometimes they go on sale.

Maybe too heavy for your little guy to haul up himself, bt he’ll get bigger

soldiersdad1
    La Crosse, WI

I have a 16FT. fiberglass Tuffy V-Hull. I’ve tried just about every style/type of anchor out there and have finally found one that does exactly what I need/want it to do. It holds in any type of bottom and always is retrievable. The name of the anchor is DIGGER. It’s lightweight and stores easily, too. If I remember right,Fleet Farm sells these for $40 or $50. Another thing that’s nice about this anchor is, you can tie directly to it. No need for any type of chain or anything. Well worth the price!

Take care and tight lines.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

A Waterspike is light and will hold. Downside is you need to let quite a bit of line out in heavy current.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

If I were you I would check out the “Cat River Anchors” . they are great anchors. I will be running 2 of their 20 LBer’s this season. A friend of mine that is a guide up on the Red River introduced me to them. they do offer a 16lb model that might be better for your situation. I could of got by with the 16’s for my boat(16 footer also)I went with the 20’s over the 16’s simply because the 20’s were only $5.00 more then the 16’s. The 20lb’er might be to heavy for your son to lift thou.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.