Huge Sturgeon

• Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Wow…. the Croix has some big one’s swimming out there!

You got to love the picture with the little one giving the two thumbs up.

Huge Sturgeon

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

That’s the best pic I’ve seen in a while. The kid is great!

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

What a monster. “Beautiful fish”.

fishfreak
    Shakopee MN

What a whopper! The kid is great, I can only imagine all of the reactions when they figured out what they had.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I want to see the size of their auger.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Here’s my take on this beauty.

First off we all know it’s against the law to “target” sturgeon. Using summer type gear and a chain saw to cut an opening would lead one to assume they might be targeting them…but it’s not breaking any laws to fish with summer gear in the winter or use a saw to open a hole.

Since the DNR is planning on opening up the season to C&R pretty much all year on this and many other waters. My only two concerns about a year round c&r season is the spawning time (which c&r may or may not hurt the populations) and how the fish are handled once caught.

So, assuming these folks were targeting sturgeon out of season, I would assume they knew what they were doing and released a fish without laying it on the ice for hours or hold her by the gill plates stretching out the gill attachments or over stretching it’s vertebra. (this fish don’t have any bones holding them together besides the back bone).

I don’t condone breaking a law, but really, it’s not going to hurt the fish and it’s just a red tape delay until what we assumed they were doing is legal.

Actually I have a larger concern and that’s the anglers that have an incidental catch…those are the folks that might not have seen a sturgeon before in there life. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen photo on P4 of someone catching one and holding them by the gill plates to get a photo. Mostly because the damn gill plates look like built in handles.

As the C&R open season comes about, how many of you seasoned sturgeon folks would go up to someone you don’t know and explain how to hold a sturgeon when you witness them being held poorly? Just a question I have to answer for myself too.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The law is the law. Its one thing for people to knowingly break the law and another to flaunt it.

Brian, you are uninvited to the GTG.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Go ahead and get personal!

My point was that it’s not hurting the fishery and when the C & R season is legal, I’m sure we’ll be seeing more ice sturgeon fishing.

I need a chain saw sponsor.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Go ahead and get personal!

My point was that it’s not hurting the fishery and when the C & R season is legal, I’m sure we’ll be seeing more ice sturgeon fishing.

I need a chain saw sponsor.

You are right. And it doesn’t hurt the fishery when I use 2 lines.

I got less of a problem with them doing it, it is the flaunting part I really I don’t like. I don’t see much of a difference between this and catching flatheads in the winter.

I wonder if the DNR sees this they will ticket them like they did the guy who caught one last year?

Ferlin Cobb
    minneapolis, mn

Its an issue of fairness. I can’t fish for sturgeon unless I break the law. Some don’t care about the law and do it anyway. Its unfair to lawful anglers. Even if the law changes soon, people are doing it this winter and I am not, which sucks.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Its an issue of fairness. I can’t fish for sturgeon unless I break the law. Some don’t care about the law and do it anyway. Its unfair to lawful anglers. Even if the law changes soon, people are doing it this winter and I am not, which sucks.

Thanks for putting my thoughts to words as well.

Note: Nothing against you Hunting4Walleyes. I have no problem with you posting it, in fact I am glad you did. Despite my feelings, I still love seeing these magnificent beasts and I apologize if you feel hijacked.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Totally agree.

Now can I get re invited?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Totally agree.

Now can I get re invited?

You’re “busy”.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It’s the thought that counts.

buschman
    Pool 2

[quoteI got less of a problem with them doing it, it is the flaunting part I really I don’t like. I don’t see much of a difference between this and catching flatheads in the winter.

I wonder if the DNR sees this they will ticket them like they did the guy who caught one last year?

Pug…… The difference is that the Sturgies are eating baits and at times pretty dang aggressive about this. The DNR has been inspecting lines out there and asking lots of questions… That is good. I believe Brian hit the nail on the head here.

Brian, We both know that there are lots that do know how to handle these fish but more that do not! I dont think anyone is out there cutting holes with chainsaws but if they are going to that effort I would hope they know how to hold them.. Accidental catch rates will olny increase with the volume of people out there the last couple years. That is the area where us fishermen and the DNR will have to do our best to educate anyone that may run into one of these great fish. I can tell you that I will be like flies on if I see one miss handled.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I can tell you that I will be like flies on if I see one miss handled.

The sturgeon and I thank you!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Pug…… The difference is that the Sturgies are eating baits and at times pretty dang aggressive about this. The DNR has been inspecting lines out there and asking lots of questions… That is good. I believe Brian hit the nail on the head here.

I was trying to get a dig in on Brian.

It is what it is. I guess I should be happy that thing was actually caught and pulled through a chainsaw hole so it didn’t swim away with a hook and trail of line. I’m heading to the Croix on Sunday for some catting and I am leaving the auger behind and bringing a chainsaw in its place.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Careful with those chainsaws Pug. They can be dangerous!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.