Year 2, Meeting #1 Catfish Workshop

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Tonight will be the start of the second year of the Catfish Workshops held by the MN DNR.

I really hope this years meetings will be as fruitful as the efforts of 2011.

Kudos to all the folks involved for taking the time to listen to the cat fishing community along with the cat fishing folks that want to see our fisheries improve for our favorite pastime.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

How did the workshop go?

Can we get a recap!?!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s the recap…

There was a lot talked about and more work to do to try to figure out the best way to help cat fishermen across the state.

Nothing is easy. To try and change one law it effects a half a dozen other laws and 2 or three other groups.

Since we’re just on the front edge of many priority’s it’s difficult to talk about specific because they could totally change by the next meeting.

If you or I were King Jake, it would be much easier.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Thanks BK for all you do

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thank you Sir.

As in my first post, it takes many to make changes.

Many at the DNR still feel the catfish (and sturgeon) fishermen are just a small niche group. Fortunately the DNR folks that matter are taking the time to listen and are even thinking about how law changes are affecting us.

Catfishing is the 3rd most popular sportfish in the US according to a 2001 US survey. With people that care and the help of the DNR’s I can see a bright future for our already trophy fishery we’re blessed with.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Looking for change is a tricky subject at those meetings, but obviously not impossible as we did some good last year. I wasnt able to attend this year or voice my opinion, but I suspect any progress this year is going to be a little more difficult than last year now that the easiest topics are out of the way. Overall who really cares if we use a sheephead for bait?

Its really important guys to voice your well thought out opinions on potential topics of interest for those who attend these meetings. Afterall its effort to benefit all catfishermen, and a very dedicated group there has to jump through hoops to make effort to get anything done.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.