Another night out in the slow White Buffalo

• shawnil

After recently deciding to list my boat for sale, wanted to make sure I got out at least once more this season…

I didn’t even bother having the outboard on back this time, figuring I could make a little speed with the electric motor without the extra weight. Starting to feel like O.J. in the slow white Bronco running out there on the river on electric power, but hey, if it works…

Checked out an old familiar spot I hadn’t gotten up to for a while due to the long ride and did some scouting along the way…at trolling speed you can really get a good idea of what’s on the bottom with the fish finder. I’ve seen stumps and other interesting things I’m sure I zipped right over before with my outboard.

After no hits on the first spot, went to a second spot that’s been a “go-to” spot lately and camped out there for the last couple hours. Managed two flatheads on as many hits, with only a couple hits nice to make the most of those opportunities. With both fish coming just off the side of the boat maybe 12-15 feet away, it was like hand-to-hand combat…splashing and thrashing in shallow water, got to love that!!

Got a real nice fight for the size of that second one…wasn’t initially impressed on that one until it got close to the boat. Then it was under the boat and all over the place! First fish was a typical 24″ flattie and the second one was an extra stout 27″. Nice to get another multiple fish night, been on a bit of a streak with those. The goofy look in the one picture was me cracking up at the difficulty I was having trying to get situated for a picture as the timer was about to go off…was a very clumsy night in the boat almost fell over/out a couple times.

taz
    Frederic wi

Nice fish

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya nice fish, did you take them home? Those are the best eating size.

shawnil

while I cpr flatheads I catch anyway, I wouldn’t eat any fish out of the Fox river, at least for sure not during summer. Lot of treated waste water moving through there, large percentage of the stream flow during low water.

I’d try a cold water crappie or winter walleye, I guess. The water quality is much improved during the last 20 years on the Fox, but there was a time when it was pretty bad.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just the opposite for me. I eaten more channel cats in the last two months then I have in my life.

‘course cleaning all the fat and red meat between the skin and the flesh should help with most of the contaminates.

Ol Pete at Everts has made me a channel cat eating machine. LOL!

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Nice outing Shawn. Bet you’ll be sad to see the boat go…

shawnil

We will have to see if anything comes from my listing it. I’ve had that for 10 years, had some fun trips in it. But, it does get cramped in that small boat even on solo outings…who knows, maybe down the road I’ll get something a little roomier….

katfish
    Ohio

Shawn
    You shouldn’t worry about the slow boat.

The man I consider to be the best flathead fisherman ever (Roy Hoops) has fished these lakes for 40 years using a rowboat.

He launches his rowboat (full of gear) at spots near his intended flathead spots. He sets up on shore and catches monster flathead (73 is his best) He has caught more 50+ flathead on rod and reel than anyone else I have heard of.

He excelled at flathead fishing and never worried much about his lack of mobility around the lakes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.