Trolling for Flathead

• shawnil

Got a late start arriving at the launch around 9 pm tonight…tried several times to get the outboard going but even with the fresh gas still being tempremental. Decided it was time to get started so I set out under electric power via Minn Kota.

Fished about 30-40 minutes at a newer spot, was kind of breezy awith lots of boat sway and no pick-ups decided it was time to move on.

Set-up at a familiar second spot with some good wood cover and got some baits out. Had a couple early snags and was there a good bit (maybe an hour) before my first pick-up. And I was just wondering if the recent heat had turned them off… got a nice load-up going, set the hook by “burning” the reel in the holder, and I’m solid on a fish and right away – and it was clear this wasn’t the usual 18″ to 25″ fish I’d been catching on the Fox. I got the fish up close the first time and it bolts and heads for the bottom and more than half my rod is below the waterline. Wow. Initially had my drag cranked down pretty good, had to adjust that a couple times due to some powerful surges. Was able to keep the fish away from the tangles that I’d lost some others in and after a few more minutes I grab the fish and hoist it into the boat. At that point I exuberantly vocalized my delight with a hearty HOLY #^@&! Easily a new personal best and most powerful fish I’ve had on in the Fox.

I fished for a good while after that and had two more good aggressive pick-ups that resulted in 24″ and 19″ flatheads. I was just getting another rod rigged up when the second one hit, funny how that happens!

While bringing in lines before lifting anchors, I managed to pull up some heavy water-logged timber in open water with my 80# power-pro…you cant tell from the picture but it was easily over 8′ long!

On the way back it occurred to me, after that first fish I had failed to crack open my customary cold beer to celebrate that first fish…Had plenty of time for that during the slow ride back…pretty good night on the river considering how limited my mobility is without the outboard. Guess I’m getting accustomed to going it “old school” under alternative means of propulsion!!!

primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

Great report and nice fish.I have read most of your reports over the years, It seems that most every fishing trip has the same problem, that outboard.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Love to color of the back of the first fish Shawn.

Thanks for sharing!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Nice flat guy

Is that green cowl from and old Kiekhaefer??
    If so I had a 6hp 1956 model at one time…..

No wonder you had motor troubles

shawnil

I hear you on the outboard stuff…still I’ve had plenty of skunk outings when I could get anywhere I wanted. Having limited options makes you think a lot more strategically about spots etc.

That’s a 57-58 Mercury Mark 10… havent given up on it yet…I’ll say this much – when it IS running good my Great White Buffalo flies accross the water!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

That’s a 57-58 Mercury Mark 10… havent given up on it yet…I’ll say this much – when it IS running good my Great White Buffalo flies accross the water!

I KNEW that was a Kiekhaefer Like you said…A great motor when it was running right.
    You ever have any troubles with the pull-start system??
    I could rebuild my steel cable system on the water blindfolded after awhile..

shawnil

Quote:

You ever have any troubles with the pull-start system??

I’ve been using a rope wrapped around the rotor to start it for a few years now…since I ran with electric power the entire night I could have gained a little mobility by losing the extra weight of the motor and gas tank. Something to think about for next time…

Thinking I may need to get the local “old Merc” expert on the case unless I end up buying another motor…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.