ideas for catfish boat

• joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I have the 16′ flatbottom you guys are talking about. When the wind blows it is rough and wet and slow. The flatbottom looses some of it’s charm when you have a tiller and don’t want to bang up your motor.

I’d like something like this for the lake http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/boa/3085927207.html

The fixer upper version http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/boa/3101104343.html

One odd thing about boats. If you could give three different guys 5k to build their catfishing boat, results would vary. One guy would have a new pimped out 14′ jon boat. One guy a pontoon. One guy a $500 boat and trailer with the newest motor he could put on it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

…and all three would be super happy.

wisccatguy
    Blair wI

Josh
    Thanks for ideas on the 2 boats. I am gonna check them out. What do you guys think i should put in the boat for equipment ? I am leaning toward the cheap one and build it from the ground up. I know bone head move in the heart of catfishing but we can move fast.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I’d decide whether you want to go fishing this year or not and move on from there.

Starcraft is one of the few that made aluminum boats in that style. Which is sort of cool because fixing it up means a new plywood floor and some steering and lights.

But there are a lot of deal killers too. You could look at it and find a bunch of corrosion or dents in bad places or whatever. Bad compression on the outboard would be a real mood killer. The engine hump on the inboard would be kind of intrusive and they need to be winterized but probably easier to find parts for. Prolly get it check out if you don’t know what to look for. My neighbor bought one and after a while it wouldn’t start. No compression will do that.

wisccatguy
    Blair wI

Josh
    The cheaper boat he said floor is good. He said he would take me on the water with it also.what advice would you have for me. Would a weak cylinder be obvious?thanks

shawnil

Quote:

I would NEVER have a fishing boat with real oars

That should be I wouldnt have a boat without real oars…of course my boat and outboard are BOTH older than I am (which is 47 now!!!)

Didnt mention pontoon, I’ve thought about that one for my next boat…but that’s not a priority right now and I’m getting along fine with that old Smoker Craft.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Buy a compression tester and read up on it a bit. It is the best 30–50$ you will spend in your man-life.

wisccatguy
    Blair wI

Well finally got my boat. It cost more then i wanted to spend but i love it. I got a 1997 tracker targa 18 pro series. Pics are to come. Got good rod holders good trolling motor but am know on the search for electronics. We are breaking the cherry on her Wednesday for cats. We are launching out of trempealeau. Let you know how it turns out.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.