Father’s day on the Fox

• shawnil

With an incredibly packed summer with family stuff and major happenings, forecast is not great to be out fishing much this year. Did manage to get out a few hours last night…

Got to the launch right around dusk…boat’s in the water, motor running without too much effort, I’m thinking it’s shaping up to be a nice night. It was actually pumping water pretty well, even while planed out at high speed for a bit… oh, so encouraging!

Thought about heading waaay upriver, but decided to hit a deep water spot closer to the launch…had an encounter with a speed boater running past at full throttle fairly close. I put my spot on them which prompted a return visit and some jawing about my bright light. Been a while since the last installment of brushes with jerks. Decided to move, motor wouldn’t stay running. Had another spot in mind neaby, so I just hooked up the trolling motor figuring I’d try the motor later.

Anchored up amidst some shallow water wood (but not far from some deeper water), got baits out and it wasn’t too long before the action started…First pick-up… ready, set…STRIKE ONE. Bad timing. Second pick-up going and hooked up with a fish, nice fight going and all of the sudden it feels “funny”. Fish had found my rear anchor rope and ended up getting off before I could get to it. A net might have helped on that one… Third pick-up, I’m hooked up solid and boated a solid healthy 21″ flattie. Skunk is off the boat, and I popped open a celebratory ice cold beer, in keeping with my new tradition of toasting the first fish of the night. A little later, I get another pick-up and brought in a strong fighting fish for a smaller flathead at 24″. Even pulled drag a few times. Took a look at the fish and noticed an orange tag. Think that was my first tagged flathead!

Before I could finish pictures thought another rod might go, but that was it for the night. Went to start my motor, it idled for a second but again wouldn’t stay running. Must be some kind of bad motor mojo I got going. Motor seems to run fine until the air cools off. I was half expecting that, so I left a little extra time to get back and hooked up the trolling motor for a slow quiet ride back to the launch. At least I didn’t need to break the oars out this time.

my new tow setup…

first fish of the year

first tagged flathead

shot a little quick video (not a lot to see) on the way back to the launch…just the sound of the river, my trolling motor, and my music playing in the boat…

Late night ride back

jerry b
    western WI

Santana? Good choice jerr

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Great report Shawn, glad you got on a few!

X 2!

I wish I had more free travel time, I would love to fish the Fox.

shawnil

Quote:

Santana? Good choice

My “fishing tunes” folder on my mp3 player has quite a selection of sounds…cruising around with the trolling motor afforded extra time to rock out – my three minute boat ride back took about half an hour!

Got Allman Brothers to Neil Young…you know Hendrix Catfish Blues is in there…

Might need to include some ZZ top for the next time…Jesus Just Left Chicago, Cheap Sunglasses, La Grange…or maybe a little Nasty Dogs & Funky Kings…

Nasty Dogs & Funky Kings live

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.