Its just like a flathead—only smaller

• katfish
    Ohio

Still picking off smaller fish where the big
    ones should be.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Channels are doing the same thing here, just the smaller ones are biting. I’m waiting for the bigger ones to start feeding again.

BBKK
    IA

Try up in the rocks where the big ones are spawning.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

You running dittypoles Katfish or hook and line?

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

You running dittypoles Katfish or hook and line?

I see a rod with a big J hook on the chair, so I would assume a rod.

katfish
    Ohio

Dan
    I am not sure what a ditty pole is but all my flathead are caught on rod and reel and released. I got the last one on an old solid fiberglass rod that is at least 15 years old.
    I have a wide variety of rod/reel combinations. I am starting to think I will need to try to use the smaller ones like Abu 6500s loaded with 20# to get the really big fish to bite

BBK
    The rocks here only have immature flathead that feed on crawdads. Spawning fish prefer mud/sand bottom with submerged timber.

That fish was a mature female with eggs but she is not close to spawning yet. Her egg hole was not even swollen or red. From over 30 years experience with flathead I expect the spawn to begin in these lakes about July 1st. The carp are late beginning their spawn and the channel cats should begin now but none show marks usually consistent with their spawning.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

cool looking release

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I think there is a small slick of machismo visible around the fish.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Willow pole Rob with line that goes to a hook with a bluegill or bullhead on or just under the surface, thier deadly around logs in the river in the slow water. Fairly calm water with a bluegill and thats the dinner bell for anything thats hungry.

dark30
    Belle Plaine, Mn.

Hey Robby, If ya really want a biggun…ask Kayla to take ya to her spot

katfish
    Ohio

That is interesting because I think Kayla will come down for a couple of weeks. She seems to be focussed on her uncles speedboat and tube, but she might fish a night or 2.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.