Catching up….

• shawnil

Not exactly a banner year so far, not only have I not wet a line, didnt even get my license yet!

So very end of last year, my tow vehicle (’98 Windstar)and second car bought the farm. Had no idea how that was going to work out, needed a few financial things to fall in place as i wanted to do a cash deal on something used but nice…

Not to mention at the end of last season, my motor wasnt running. Thought it could have been weather related (dampness), wasnt sure. Or maybe it was just bad gas…

During our unseasonably warm March using the same gas, took the motor out last night and hooked up the muffs…cranked the motor several times and I had it running. Pretty much same thing happened last spring and last June when I was fishing. It was just that September trip I couldn’t get it started. Wierd…

MK10 test 3-2012

Figuring at that point, I’ll be ready to hit the water soon, just need a tow vehicle. Had some business trips in early April, finally stumbled into a very nice Mazda van at the end of the month…complete w a class II hitch and everything (one less controversy at the home front)

Got crazy with family stuff this month, graduation and a subsequent party, etc. With Monday off, thought I’d hit the river last Sunday night…

Did a quick test of trailer wiring…first of all, the contacts in the 4-pole plug are totally corroded. Ok, knew that. Ended up removing the plug figuring I’ll replace it later. Try hooking up the trailer lights only to see the car go totally dead. (I had the headlights etc. on “accessory” not idling). Try charging it and figured out I need a new battery. Okay, one problem solved.

Retested the wiring….if you plug the trailer lights in and hit the brake or turn on lights… nothing. But, turn on the flashing hazard lights or right turn…the rt signal wire goes constantly “on.” Other leads are completely dead. No flashing with the turn signals or brakes. Very, very strange… decided it was time for a cold beer or two. Too hot to catch bait or spend anymore time fixing the trailer.

Did some more testing Tuesday, the taillight converter module was bad. I have a replacement ready to install, but June isnt looking too good…Sure I’ll get in a little channel catting, but with a lot of family stuff, scout events, and a high-adventure trip (Florida SeaBase) coming up not sure when I’ll hit the river.

Might need to get real creative…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Kinda wondering where you’ve been Shawn. Nice ride!

Sounds like your making progress anyway.

shawnil

looking at the calendar, there’s a window of opportunity to get out before the sailing trip…mid-June has always been my favorite time to get out anyways!

shawnil

Done!!!

Before… (and keep in mind I had already replaced the wiring by the hitch with some newer stock…)

After…

I can’t take credit for the idea of hiding the wiring inside in the storage compartment – that’s how MasterHitch did my Windstar and I liked it… (That’s a Tow-Ready/Hidden Hitch converter in place of the older Hopkins one).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.