electronics advice

• wisccatguy
    Blair wI

Looking for sone advice on what to get for fish finder for Catfish. I was considering side imaging unit but am thing just down imaging would be fine. Would like to be 600$ or so. Just curious what everyone else like or a good sonar unit would be fine also.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not sure what to tell ya wisccatguy.

I didn’t believe in StructureScan until I was in a boat with it this last fall.

Let me back up. I’ve used a regular sonar gps for years and that seemed to take care of my needs just fine.

Now that I have and use the StructureScan, I’ve found many many underwater obstructions that will (I’m thinking) hold flats that I wouldn’t have ever known about with a regular 2D sonar and I doubt it just using Down Scan.

Someone once said that good flat holding structure does not have to be above the surface…and I feel I can now find some of those locations.

Can I definitely say that I’ve found a flathead using this equipment? Yes and no. Since I know a number of wintering holes, I’ve seen them down there. Have I been able to pick one out in areas of the river that I don’t know…not yet.

Maybe I’m not much help, but that’s were I’m at in my catfish imaging learning curve.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You don’t say what you like to do. I’m kind of in the same boat as you. I’d like a $2500 sonar but not in the budget. If you fish at night, you will want a GPS combo of some kind to aid in navigation. 600 would get you 700 series Humminbird. Side scan and structure scan are great tools for the catfish angler but might be beyond your price range.

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I have the Hummingbird 998si and love the heck out of it. Like Briank, I have cruised my home river with the Side Imaging on and found multiple submerged tree that I had no idea were there. And I too believe that submerged trees are better flathead hangouts that the tree above the water…I don’t think they move as much from surface movement (like waves from ski boats etc). I have had some luck catching fish around these ‘new’ snags too.

I don’t know about the Lowrance, but when I spot a new snag on my Hummingbird Side Image screen, I can move the cursor to that snag and mark a way point without ever actually geting over the snag. Some of these new snags I would have never known they were there if not for the Side Imaging.

Like Kevin mentioned though, if you can’t afford one, you’ll just have to live without one. Mine cost about $2000…quite a bit cheaper that the bigger, and probably better, model, but it works well for me.

Down Imaging is great, but Side Imaging is better. If I were you, I’d plan a budget to get the Side Imaging unit, even if it take until next year, you will not regret it.

Good luck with your choice.

L8R…Ken

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

The Edge3 is a great river unit.
    Vexilar Edge 3

I’m sorry Derek, that’s 1990 technology.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Dual sonar hit the market in early 2000. The Edge 3 has many new features over the Edge 2. Many guides and pro’s us it. They are great for pulling fish off the mud.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

For cat fishing, the Vex technology might as well be 1990 technology. I understand your support of Vex, but they need to catch up…by 10 years or so.

Finding fish in mud on a lake is not like finding cats on the river. Seldom are they out in the open. They like structure.

Don’t get me wrong. They were awesome at one time. Just like my 30 meg hard drive.

Walleye’s and sauger near Lock and Dam #3.

Individual rocks and a pole.

Measuring objects on the bottom using the white line. This one is 8.7 feet long.

Finding an object (for flats to hide behind) 35 feet to the left of the boat.

Bird and Lowrance are focused on bettering open water sonar/imaging/gps. Vex needs to think about catching up before I could recommend them for cat fishing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Not to mention the ability to add on Sirrus Weather overlay to the gps map that has extended and shortened a number of my night trips.

Some like the ability to add the Sirrus radio…but that doesn’t help me catch fish…although my client would rather listen to that then for me to be singing.

wisccatguy
    Blair wI

Brian do you have any screen pics of Catfish on the bottom

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Can I definitely say that I’ve found a flathead using this equipment? Yes and no. Since I know a number of wintering holes, I’ve seen them down there. Have I been able to pick one out in areas of the river that I don’t know…not yet.

No sir I don’t.

wisccatguy
    Blair wI

Brian the first screen shoot you showed of the si is the little white lines the fish? If I buy a down imaging can side imaging be added later or would I have to buy new unit? Thanks for your help. Who offers the best river maps to load up as for pool7 and 8? Do you have image shots of wintering holes and do the fish realy stack up as much as they say?

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

Awesome!!!!

wisccatguy
    Blair wI

Moose do you use down imaging for cats?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I haven’t captured a screen shot of wintering flatheads off my Lowrance, but I have with a MarCum.

Not going to get a much better view than this without getting wet.

Piles of Wintering Flatheads<

KirtH
    Lakeville

Look at the Lowrance Elite Series in DSI, you don’t get all the pizzaz of a HDS such as networking but you get a Downs Scan Unit with GPS if you desire. Nice units for the price, very easy to operate

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

I wish, I was more commenting about how unreal the technology looks. I think these depth finders would cost close to as much as my boat does!

Maybe some day.

lisak
    Red Wing, MN

i don’t have much to add here except there was a huge debate at our house about whether to go with lowrance or hummingbird. decided on lowrance and i am so impressed with their customer service. there was an issue with our screen, my fiance called at 1pm and talked to them about it and we had a whole new unit on our doorstep by 11:30 am the next day! for me personally, customer service like that is greatly appreciated.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.