Catfish Conservation

• josh_eats_kitties

“The sun finally slips beyond the horizon, and dark entrenches the river. This is it, the time they used to come out and bite, back when things were good.. You load up your bait on your rods and toss it out.. Kick your legs up and wait. Minutes….and now hours pass.. one sheep head and a couple snags later.. nothing.. it’s getting late and with a sigh…you pack up your equipment and head it home. It’s been two months since your last catfish catch, and you’re doing better than most people out of the river.. Oh why didn’t we do something sooner? Now that the population has been decimated, it will take years, even with restocking, before catfishing is feasible.. If only we had filled out Joel’s fish logs when we had the chance…”

Maybe a slightly dramatic view of the future, but a very possible one given the slowly growing popularity of catfishing, paired with the people that think they are rough fish and mistreat them as such(the majority of fishermen believe it or not.. I’ve had hardcore walleye fishermen tell me they sting you with their whiskers like a jelly fish, and others tell me they throw them on shore with the sheep head).

Now throw in the fact that most conservation efforts and funds received from OUR purchases of licenses go mostly towards…dun dun dunnnnn… Walleye, Muskies and Northern… Something I’m willing to bet the majority of the people that frequent this forum, couldn’t care less about(or maybe you care some but would still prefer to see efforts made to ensure a sustainable cat population).

The Metro East Fisheries DNR department has been trying to get a push to get more information on catfishing pressure, populations, harvests and such in order to ensure such a future does not come about, however, the research project would benefit greatly from input from anglers, and as a show that there’s a healthy population of us out there chasing cats. The more information they get and the more accurate the information is, the more likely the DNR is to start shifting some of our dues towards our hobby.

That being said as of last year, they had a fish log that had been distributed, initially anglers took a big interest, but apparently by the end of the year only a handful were returned. This is an effort to repopularize the use of the log for anglers to track their time fishing, catches, harvest, locations ect.

I’ve uploaded the log to Google Docs, in order to save it to your computer just click the link and go to “File” “Download” inside the Google Docs interface.

Once your log is full there is instructions on the first page of the DNR email address to send it to: [email protected]

The information is confidential, only the DNR see’s it, and it’s aggregated with the contributions of other anglers.

Please show your support for your community and YOUR hobby by participating in this program.. It can only help us in the long run..

Catfish Diary

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good post Josh!

I struggled miserably the first two years of this study. Not that I didn’t think it was important, just couldn’t fill out the computerized form.

Last year Joel came out with a book that I can carry in the boat or where it sits most of the time, on my desk. It stares at me every morning until it’s filled in for the night.

I have one empty one from last year that I’ll be using this year. It takes a village! LOL!

josh_eats_kitties

I hear ya BK, I found the best thing for me to do is print out a single page and then put the data on my spreadsheet when I get home.

The logbook you got got nixxed this year since so few people sent their information back in. Hopefully we can get a push again going here to get people back on the bus, and take a genuine interest in helping out!

If we can get people going on this, there’s been talk of developing a bit more of a friendly solution, once we can show that we’re out there in number, and that we actually care.

Thanks for the sticky, too!

catman87
    Cannon Falls, MN

Hey brian is it possible for me to get one of those diaries? Id really like one instead of doing computer one! I only have phone to access internet so its kinda a pain! Thanks

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Try contacting Joel at [email protected] I don’t see a link anymore on the DNR website. I sure hope they haven’t dropped the program due to lack of participation.

josh_eats_kitties

Quote:

Try contacting Joel at [email protected] I don’t see a link anymore on the DNR website. I sure hope they haven’t dropped the program due to lack of participation.

Hey Pug,

I talked to Joel this morning about it, and they have to a point. Out of 200 logs sent out last year they only got 5 back. It sounds like the only way to get the program up and running again is a community push to get it going. Hopefully we can popularize it and get people to taking a genuine interest in getting it back up on it’s feet.

clicker

really only 5 logs were sent in out of 200??? That is a huge disappointment! Specially since I know about a dozen people who had them there logs and were filling them out! Shame on them!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

BTW, this is the same reason the DNR doesn’t like having us tagging fish.

Shame on US.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Oh boy, I feel bad now. I’ll have to query my database and get my information in this weekend.

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

I have been keeping logs for the IDNR for the past four years on flathead fishing the Fox River and have been able to accumulate over 1,400 trips logged, 5,000 hours of fishing time and 600 flatheads. I ask people to simply text me the data after their trip, or email, or call, whatever works for them. That being said I still have to send constant reminders and beg for it at the end of the season for those who had been keeping it but not sending it, etc. Its not an easy task, but if someone stays on it and hounds everyone it is doable.

heavychevy
    prole, iowa (close to martinsdale)

it would be nice if the dnr would do something like that here in iowa. funny thing is, i always kept a note book of what i caught, where i caught it and what bait i used. it was great for fishing down around my home town. Started a new one since moving to des moines and the pages are rather empty other then the when and where sections.

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

You don’t have to wait on them, see if anyone is willing to do it and then be proactive and contact them about it. You do the leg work and it becomes much easier for them.

jstiras76

So are people going to be keeping logs. Would be cool to knock down the DNR’s door with a bunch of diaries after they faded into the sunset.

josh_eats_kitties

Quote:

So are people going to be keeping logs. Would be cool to knock down the DNR’s door with a bunch of diaries after they faded into the sunset.

I’m keeping track of every minute on the water, hopefully we all are. I’d hate to see DNR programs in regards to cats disappear because of lack of interest. You know the walleye kids are harassing and whining and crying to the DNR every chance they get… The squeaky wheel gets the grease… Let’s be the self lubricating wheel, imo.

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

If anyone is interested I can send you the spreadsheet I have been using for the last four years. You can customize it as you see fit and it will make all your data calculations for you as long as you enter it right. PM me if you are interested

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I received word today that we will be having another catfish workshop group this summer.

More to come on this a bit later.

mfreeman451

Just waiting for River Rat Randy to chime in here.. he usually has something intelligent to say about the catfish fishery.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I pulled the power cord on his laptop. It’s going to take him a week or so to figure out why his battery is dead.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Can you turn his gas off for me. I didn’t like his tone with me the other day.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

Just waiting for River Rat Randy to chime in here.. he usually has something intelligent to say about the catfish fishery.

..OK Mr. SECRET MAN You want to meet for lunch.? I will buy.We can Talk Cats.Oh ya.Whos picture are you useing.?. Call me.. ..rrr. .r

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

..Corn Pepole and Cats…There are 25 to 30 pepole, almost all of them from iowa. That are Staying at EVERTS this week. All of them Fishing Cats. And they are catching them BIG TIME!! The Hot Summer CAT BITE is ON.! 100s and 100s of cats going thru the cleaning shack every day. So MFREE come on down or up or over seeing how no one knows where you will be comeing from.? We can go out and get in on the action.. I know some SECRET 7 Spots that those iowa guys dont know about.. We can clean up on those great tasteing cats.. What you say buddy.?.? ..rrr

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

Quote:

..OK Mr. SECRET MAN You want to meet for lunch.? I will buy.We can Talk Cats.Oh ya.Whos picture are you useing.?. Call me.. ..rrr. .r

…….DOES THIS MEAN WE DONT HAVE A FISHING DATE mfree. ?? ……..rrr

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.