Highs and Lows in Flathead fishing

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What do you think guys?

Last year we had the highest water that lasted the longest time than most life time river rats have ever seen.

This year is tracking for the polar opposite. It could be a very short semi high water spring and then some very low water.

What’s your prediction on flatheads?

Less water means more and bigger fish bending your rods over?

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

It means what was 14 ft. deep last year will be less this year is my guess.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

I’m guessing many parts of the Middle Minnesota will be un-navigable even with my little flat bottom if we don’t see significant spring rain. Might have to register my canoe to reach some of the holes in between landings down here. Still the low water will concentrate the fish, making them easier to find than when there was several thousand acres of flooded timber for them to hide in.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

All of my big flatheads have come in high water. So im thinking my #’s will be up but size will be down for me.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

All of my big flatheads have come in high water. So im thinking my #’s will be up but size will be down for me.

Absolutely not saying you’re wrong Otis…but that’s just backwards. LOL!

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Last years high water season was my best by far. Both in numbers and size. I’m pretty sure the reason is I was forced to try locations and techniques that where different from my norm. I’m hoping that I can take what (and where) I learned last year and apply it this year in what is shaping up as a low water\flow season.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Pretty much feast or famine, eh? While I did catch my biggest cats last year, I am really looking forward to a regular or low water year. Launching from flooded parking lots and mud pits is no fun.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I planted a seed and watched it grow…

stuart
    Mn.

I will be fishing mostly new to me water this year so think my numbers will be up.I always get lucky on new water,kinda wierd but some what true.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Once you guys figure this out on the Flathead end how do you envision the Walleye bite may be this season? I’ll hang up and listen…

I too have had my best luck on big fish with high fast moving water, generally creek mouths and culverts. But that’s just a small sampling as I don’t get out much as I’d like.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

In most instances I would say that high water forces more fish into smaller areas to stay out of the heavy current. It is how I learned to fish walleye, and the pattern seems to hold, but with my less than acceptable time on the water the last few years, I have struggled to find a decent pattern.

My prediction for the year. I will spend more time in the boat in the high or low water and will therefore catch more and bigger flatheads.

And for those who don’t know, it is positive reinforcement day today

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

MN Stuart! LOL!

Last year was new to me. Most all fish (large and small) came from the main river channel.

With the high fast water, I would have guessed it would have been in a lower flow area. I was set back by the flow I was fishing in and catching good fish. Changed my outlook on what’s “good” flow for flats.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I think having the water low in a river makes it easier to find where thier laying in the log jams and holes. The dam here in town shows its best bite when its high water, even very high water doesn’t seem to bother them much. Thier stopped by the dam and they stack up with prolonged periods of high water, the higher and longer the better. I don’t fish the river much when its real high except below the dam. If its around 4′ or less above normal I fish it around log jams for flatheads and the back waters for channels. Below the dam here when the waters really high, up to the tops of the gates the flatheads really go to town biting for long periods of time, so the high water doesn’t bother them much. I personally think the closer to the bottom the less the current is except in scour holes, so high water is no problem to them. I also think after prolonged periods of swimming in faster current feeding they move to a less flow to rest a bit, but thier not far away from thier usual places because we find them off to the sides in slower, not calm water and they still hit good. Even during normal water levels they lay next to logs etc. to break the current instead of fighting it all day, that and thats where thier food is swimming because they don’t fight the current as they also use slower areas to keep out of the faster current. Below dams and the main channel in rivers is two diffrent spots and they do feed diffrently at times depending on the speed of the water and how much they have fed. After they have fed I think they move to slower water, on the bottom or off to the side, when thier hungry they will feed anywhere. Feeding in really fast water thats also really turbulant is no problem to them and I think its second nature. I want to go flathead fishing now, can hardly wait to get the boat in.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

they will still be in current breaks just like last year. but probably much more related to the main channel this year.

hoping we can duplicate the numbers from last year….it was definitely a good year.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

back where I belong.

Left that wide open!

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I’ve done better when my little “river” is higher but mostly in the banks. Once it floods in the fields and stuff then I’m done or under a dam and not real successful there. I think the chocolate milk water is a big help. Once the water clears up a bit things seem harder.

Low water is harder for me. If you can’t get to or find that low water spot, you are also done.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

I think walleye fishing will be awesome. Woops, posted on a catfish thread. Catfish post. Actually if we have more stable flow I think fishing for both eyes and cats will be we better than last year for both numbers and size. Even if I’m wrong at least I will be able to get out more frequently if the launchs are open and maybe that will be the real reason for catching more. Last year stunk for getting out on the rivers.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

I suppose I should have been more specific. On the smaller rivers it seems high water, but still in the banks is good for the cat bite. Flood stage and water in the trees, not so good. That seemed to be the general consensus among the guys I talked to on the Minnesota last summer.

mudcatkid
    On water

Ditto to what Goat said above.

I like a bankfull stage, i.e. flooded but within the cutbanks and not into the trees. From my experience, catch rate is always better if I can control how and where the bait sits. It seems that in high water it’s harder to maintain placement (i.e. current bows the line, boat sways more, bait tumbles, etc) but if you can control how and where it sits then you are assured to catch something. If you can’t be on the ball with your bait and the current is pushing you around then you are S.O.L. Whereas in low and slow water, you can cast and place the bait anywhere you want but there’s less forced locales that’s usually typical of high water high flow fishing. It’s easier working conditions but not always easier pickin’s.

That being said, regardless of the way the summer of 2012 unfolds, just being on the water all night with my trusty fishin’ dog will be success enough! My sanity relies heavily on being able to hide out on the River with some BL Smoothies.

shawnil

I don’t fish a lot of high water, tend to get out on medium/low water much more. Not because the fish are scattered or anything, I’m just not out too much other than occaisional bank fishing in real high water. (Of course, river closings have an impact there).

That said, one of my favorite times to fish is in June/July/August when the river comes up a foot or two right after the water has been low. Definitely seems to increase activity level, but doesn’t drastically change location.

Stable or rising river I like best, don’t care for falling river. (i know that wasn’t the exact question).

mudcatkid
    On water

Hopefully its low enough that we can do a little more shore fishing. My fishing season last year was a little deprived of bon fires.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Hopefully its low enough that we can do a little more shore fishing. My fishing season last year was a little deprived of bon fires.

Yeah, wading out through a foot and a half of water to cast between trees is fun, but makes for tough fishing

Anyone else who fishes the Minnesota notice how much stuff got scoured out last year? Some of the traditional spots are pretty much gone.

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

I don’t know if it matters much either way. I have had some good success with both. The best season I have ever had was a season of higher water, but there were other variables that may have improved catch rates too.

I don’t like fishing really high water though, rather not worry about all the floating debris and such.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That reminds me. Fishing high water last spring we were fighting the current in front of a big log jam, motoring up to a branch to tie the anchor rope to.

We went back a week later and the water was about 1′ lower. That was enough to expose a stump. I told my nephew, had we popped that with the prop the last time we would have been in big trouble. We would have washed right into the log jam where who knows what would have happened.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.