Flathead Regs?

• jstiras

Thought I would break down some contaminant stuff from fish I collected on the St Croix in 2009 just to show how goofy it can be sometimes. Note, these are not flatheads, but channel cats. Another note, don’t assume all sizes of fish are tested. The fish that are tested are what we catch when sampling and the recommendations are based on AVERAGES.

These four fish were all north of Stillwater.
    15.5″ channel cat, 0.087 PPM Mercury, 5-years-old.
    16.2″ channel cat, 0.184 PPM Mercury, 6-years-old.
    19.6″ channel cat, 0.119 PPM Mercury, 7-years-old.
    26.1″ channel cat, 0.149 PPM Mercury, 10-years-old.

As for PCB’s, they collect in the fattiest part of the fish so it’s best to trim away the fat…and the belly meat, to reduce PCB exposure. There is no way to trim away mercury as it distributes throughout the meat.

From 4 fish between Prescott and Stillwater.
    16.1″ channel cat, 0.027 PPM PCB.
    16.5″ channel cat, 0.082 PPM PCB.
    21.1″ channel cat, 0.134 PPM PCB.
    21.7″ channel cat, 0.086 PPM PCB.

From 2 fish from Stillwater to Taylors Falls.
    21.2″ channel cat, 0.025 PPM PCB.
    26.1″ channel cat, 0.281 PPM PCB.

Last year I had a 42.4″ flathead that died during sampling on Pool 2. I had it tested for contaminants so it wouldn’t go to waste. It had the highest mercury content ever recorded for Pool 2, but was below mercury levels that are commonly seen up in northern lakes. That fish had 0.946 PPM Mercury and 0.155 PPM PCB, and it was 18-years-old. That level of mercury contamination would put that fish in the 1 meal per month category from the MN Dept of Health (and 1 meal per week for PCB levels).

Fun stuff huh.

Joel

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

It had the highest mercury content ever recorded for Pool 2, but was below mercury levels that are commonly seen up in northern lakes.

Thanks for this in writing Joel. I had heard this before and about the river(s) vs. lakes and often say something along these lines to people who consider it ‘gross’ to fish the Mississipi/Minnesota, etc.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ditto!

…and there aren’t any flatheads “up north”.

Which would mean we are talking scaly fish up there.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Very interesting, Thanks for the information Joel.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Thanks for this in writing Joel. I had heard this before and about the river(s) vs. lakes and often say something along these lines to people who consider it ‘gross’ to fish the Mississipi/Minnesota, etc.

Even if the levels for pool one fish were the same as other pools, I don’t think I could get myself to eat anything out of that pool. And I am talking generally from the Ford dam up to NE Mpls. I have eaten cats caught by 694.

I just laugh at people who are ignorant and will look at a body of water that might be nutrient rich or for whatever be darker and be grossed out by the thought of eating a fish from there. Water clarity IMO has nothing to do with the safety or taste of a fish from a body of water.

jstiras

Do you know how many people think Pool 2 is catch and release for ALL species because the water is contaminated? A lot. I had someone catch a tagged catfish and said they threw it back because you can’t keep them. After I told him what the regulation actually was, he said he wouldn’t have kept it anyways. But I don’t remember if it was a Pool 2 stigma or if he just didn’t actually eat catfish.

I like seeing the look on people’s faces when I tell them the catch and release reg on walleye etc has nothing to do with contaminants.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Do you know how many people think Pool 2 is catch and release for ALL species because the water is contaminated? A lot. I had someone catch a tagged catfish and said they threw it back because you can’t keep them. After I told him what the regulation actually was, he said he wouldn’t have kept it anyways. But I don’t remember if it was a Pool 2 stigma or if he just didn’t actually eat catfish.

I like seeing the look on people’s faces when I tell them the catch and release reg on walleye etc has nothing to do with contaminants.

I’d eat pool 2 fish if I kept fish and it wasn’t C&R. I am sure there is minimal difference between them and Pool 1, but even for me, someone who should know better, it is about perception.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.