Finally back on the water…

• shawnil

A lot of challenges with the motor since last summer, finally back on the water to see what works and what doesn’t and do some fishing.

Great night to be on the water, not too windy, not too hot, did find a few friends to keep me company as well. Nice to have something to post about, I’ve linked my little video for your viewing pleasure.

Shawn

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Very nice…I enjoyed it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Not a good enough connection here Shawn, but glad to hear you got out anyway!

I’ll see the video tomorrow.

daveho
    Cassville Wi missippi pool 11

Shawn
    Thanks for the video, it was pretty neat. Good to hear you had some luck on the Flatheads.
    Dave

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

What is that motor? Nice vid.

shawnil

BK – I posted the stills from last night. Got out last night for about 4 hours and hit a few familiar spots and tried one new one. Had to work a smaller section of the pool, so I was pretty focused, which was probably helpful.

Pics are the 4 flats I boated, in sequence. The largest was 30″, and was first fish on first bait cast on first anchor. Guess it was a night of firsts, as first night I boated four fish!

Not quite the caliber of some of the Mississippi and MN river cats, but plenty of action is always fun!!!

Motor is 1957-58 Mercury Mark 10. Get some pretty good speed when I can run wide-open, which I can’t at the moment. Pumps water pretty well at low to mid-speeds only, not while on plane for the last year.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Can’t say I am familiar with that particular motor, but does it use an impeller? The speed shouldn’t affect the water pumping?

shawnil

<detour ahead>

well, the the motor has to be immersed pretty far. Other issue is the impeller/pump is very difficult to change due to the unique design (transmission/shift is included in the twist-grip). It should draw water more forcefully as it still should be able to cool while on plane etc, which it did at first when I got it a few years back…

team catfish
    Grove, Oklahoma

Nice job! I enjoyed the vid!

shawnil

Glad y’all enjoyed the vid, it was fun making that. To correct an earlier comment, that was the first night I boated 4 flats

Jeff – thought of you while I was out there, had one going in the holder and when I tried to get the rod out fish dropped my bait. When that last one hit, same thing happened and you know what I did…started reeling like crazy!!! That’s a solid technique that doesn’t only work with circle hooks…wonder who I learned that from?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

BURN IT!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.