50 Pound CLub…Who’s in it?

• dr._flathead

Who’s on here is in the 50# Club?

I missed it by 3lbs last year.. and 4# the year before

60# Club?

drew-evans
    rochester MN

i may be in it never took the time to weigh it though so i guess thats a pretty big MAYBE heres a pic or three

P.S caught on light tackle…. 6 pound test

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

haha that’s rite bob… i think were in the wrong conversation with these guys.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

or if u did get a 50lb musky way to go!! that 1 heck of an accomplishment!

wkw

I think I’m in it. 60″x34″.
    WKW

catman87
    Cannon Falls, MN

Wish I was in the fifty pound club!!.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

I was still a flathead newbie when I caught this guy. The measurements we took put it at 42 lbs using the flathead length/girth calculations. I’m 100% certain our measurements were off so my guess is 47 – 50 lbs, of course we’ll never know now for sure. Ask again at the end of the season, my goal this year is to break the 50 lb mark.

Funny how they grow as the years pass…

eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

What kind of bait do you use to catach a Giant catfish, or is it by accident fishing for walleyes?

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Live bullheads or suckers, poodles, kittens, ducklings, annoying neighbor children, crooked cops, pedophiles or ex-wives… any of the above should work, preferably live and held on the bottom with lead weight.

armchairdeity

Quote:

Who’s on here is in the 50# Club?

I missed it by 3lbs last year.. and 4# the year before

60# Club?

This beast got me close, and it was the last stop of the first time I took the pontoon on the river and my first night of actual flathead fishing… very frustrating and yet very cool.

So look for me on the trail to the 50# club this year.

[EDIT: I was having picture posting issues before… rectified that now…]

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Took me 5 seasons to just be let in the door of the 30# club. 50# might have to wait another 5 years.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

How’s that for a pretty fish? 55 lbs – I’m after a bigger one this year.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Oye! Here’s the deal. That is a big fish, but I also know that Steve is a pretty tall guy too, so that fish may be even bigger than some of you think.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I was struggling finding fish at the time I caught that big one. Here is the link to the report I made the next day – I thought you might find this interesting:
    55 lb flathead 08/14/05

hanson

I’m not quite there…

Got a 48 pounder and a 47 pounder but not a 50.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just wondering. Would Jeff Williams qualify with a Blue?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Just wondering. Would Jeff Williams qualify with a Blue?

Said the cheerleading water boy from the bench on “Team” catfish.

JK, love, er like you Brian. Need a field tester?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That’s right…I’m always in the sidelines.

Mark Steffies 50+ We named this one the “Rod Breaker”.

Good ol’ Dan’s 59. Dan let me net it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

There should be two more…but have to run.

This 51 was my daughters fathers day gift to me. I would have been hers had she made the trip.

Benchwarmer Beeks.

uglymike

How about several over 60lbs., 1 over 70lbs.? I’m a lurker, rare for me to post anything. The pics are in a file in this computer, just not computer literate enough to post them. I’m an old man from another generation, am typing this with my right index finger, literally….I might not know anything about computers, but I can damn sure catch flatheads. URL, UBB, cookies, it’s all Greek to me

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

All from the canals Mike?

Copy and paste to save on your finger.

Yes

No

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

ps if you can send them via email shoot them to me, I’ll post them!

armchairdeity

Am I the only one here who feels that inheriting that kind of knowledge is far more valuable than inheriting a million dollars? Honestly I’d rather have a good life fishing with my buddies and teaching my kids how to honor nature than have a million dollars any day.

That’s said I’d really prefer to have BOTH.

Still… Mike, I hope you handed all that raw, hard-earned knowledge down to _someone_. It would be a shame for that kind of lifetime collection of knowledge to be lost.

uglymike

I e-mailed BrianK a couple of pictures, he said he’d post them up, thank you BrianK. After e-mailing them, realized 1 picture was of a fish that was only 45-ish, too late, had already hit send….As far as “passing it on”, it’s ironic that my love of the outdoors was never absorbed by my kids. Took them, taught them, but it never was a priority for them. Also have shown a few others in the last 10 years or so. In hindsight, I wish I hadn’t. I release anything over 15lbs., and begged the few I took to do the same. 1 guy did, when I was with him, but kept everything when I wasn’t. Another guy, well, I had a “falling out” with him a couple years ago, haven’t had anything to do with him since. I got tired of him showing up to the dock a half hour late, at least, rarely brought bait the last year or 2 we fished together, then get on my boat and proceed to critic everything I did! And I’M the one who taught HIM how to do it! He slept in my house many, many times during the “all nighters”, my wife cooking for us each and every time, but I never once got an invite from him to share a meal at his house. All take and not much give, ‘ya know? I have no one to blame but myself, just a poor judge of character on my part. Lastly, the tri-county here in Nebraska is just 1 long canal, over 100 miles long with reservoirs every so often. Boy, my finger is sore after all that, and since I rarely post anything, I’ll just say good luck and good fishing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From UglyMike:

Quote:

when looking at these pictures, keep in mind I’m 6’6″. 300lbs. as far as a size comparison. How do I know what they weighted? Many years ago I bought a Chatillon hand held, CERTIFIABLE scale, that I have checked every spring by a friend who is a scale tech and calibrates scales for a living (costs me a 12 pack of beer

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing Mike…and typing!

I’ve seen a number of photo from the canal area. It’s on my bucket list of places to visit at least once before I’m too old to cast a 3 oz sinker!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

My brothers biggest fish he ever caught. We were fishing Walleyes pitching an edge of a 12 foot flat dropping off into 25 feet. Didn`t have a scale big enough BK figured over 50#.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Nice fish guys
    This one hit 54lbs.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Bret, it looks like that one is punching you in the face. LOL

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.