Soaked on P4

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Not a boat on the river last night…that we saw.

Anyone else get soaked last night. The weatherman said “after midnight”…well it was 11:50 when without warning it just poured! We had our Float Tech jackets on the chairs…but to even think about going to a storage compartment was useless. Soaked to the skin in just seconds.

…and the Channel Cats were on fire. Nothing big but they sure were hungry!

larry_haugh
    MN

Funny how they go NUTS during the rain.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I was right on the edge of it on Pool 8 last night. The Channel cat bite has been awesome for over a month now

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The odd thing was…beside the crazy bite…was we were in 65 fow. Wonder what it would have been like fishing on their normal feeding flat?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

65 fow ?? Were they suspending or did they come up with balloons hanging out their mouths?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I watched the radar like a hawk. We got chased off by lightning when the rain was still 10 miles away and slow moving at 9pm. am glad we got in before the rain, it was pouring!

Did you actually catch any cats Brian?

stuart
    Mn.

65 FOW? Are you sure your transducer was pointing down?

ERICPAULSON
    MN

Yeh, I am glad we called when we did. It sure came down on the way home. Hopfully we can get into a nice stable weather pattern.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

65 FOW? Are you sure your transducer was pointing down?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yup…that’s were the cats were nipping. I wouldn’t have guessed it myself.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

65 fow ?? Were they suspending or did they come up with balloons hanging out their mouths?

No balloons…I spose I’m going to have to clean the garbage out of the live well the next time this happens to see if they live.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It could also be that cats have a different swim bladder that can take the drastic change in pressure.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I know that blues do…but I’m not sure about channels.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I have pulled some Channel Cats out of 35fow with no sign of them puking up a swim bladder. It was the first thing I checked for after catching the first one to make sure I shouldn’t move in shallower. I have checked a few every now and then and things seem to be fine.
    I cannot say if any deeper will hurt them or not, but I have know problem as I mentioned fishing them at 35 feet.
    I know a Sauger or Walleye would have a bubble in there throat at that depth.

Just an observation I made this year.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I didn’t find anything about the swim bladder, as far as it inflating anyway. I did find this info about cats though. You know, the one thing I have never paid attention to is how quiet I was in a boat. I think on lakes, especially high traffic lakes, noise really doesn’t affect most fish. In fact, if they are in an aggressive mood, loud splashing entries with your lure can help. But with cats, they sure have enough tools to find bait and to hear you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.