Budget Cat Combos?

• channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

My sister went fishing with me yesterday, and had a blast. She and I grew up catfishing together in Nebraska, and she really wants to get back into it (especially now that she’s had a little experience with these Mississippi River kitties). So she’s going to need a rod and reel, and I told her I’d help. The problem is that she’s just out of college, and therefore broke. And since I have a mortgage to pay, I can’t help out too much.

I told her that the best way to go about it was to get a decent, reasonably priced combo to get her out on the water now, then save some up some money and buy a better rod and reel when she can.

So does anyone have some suggestions for a good channel cat combo that won’t break the bank? Since she bikes everywhere, it would be best if it was a two-piece rod, and she’d prefer a spinning reel. It doesn’t have to be of the highest quality, but it would be nice if it wasn’t a total piece of crap. I think we’re looking at about $50 for the rod and reel, and I’ll buy her the line and terminal tackle.

I figure a few of you might like to talk equipment for a while. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Ben

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

My suggestion:

You can get an Ugly Stick with a pretty tough spinning real for around 25-30 dollars. These can be found just about anywhere from Walmart to Cabelas. You’ll get a 6’5″ MH ugly and a Shakespeare reel.

Check with Bob Moore in S Minneapolis. If I remember correctly, he sells a couple combos as well.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

How bout an old 2liter bottle and some powerpro

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I know of 2 retialers/online stores that sell combos for $20-40.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I would go into Moores and talk to Bob. He has some great Okuma reels there for 30 that will cover channel cat fishing(spinning), and there are rods there that are respectable for $30 too.. A hair more than budget, but your better to pay a couple dollars more for something that is going to last vs something that you will be lucky not to fail by the end of the year.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What ever you do…DON’T put a bait caster on a spinning rod!

That’s just wrong! (again…not pointing any fingers )

Ben…see pm

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Better than a spinning reel on a baitcasting rod

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

That’s just wrong! (again…not pointing any fingers )

Ben…see pm

….

At least I know that the plastic on your cork is suppose to be taken off after you buy the rod.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

HEY! I said I wasn’t pointing fingers!

Good to see you again Pug..

PS Tell your brother…I’m sorry.

larry_haugh
    MN

At least I know that the plastic on your cork is suppose to be taken off after you buy the rod.

Gotta give a guy credit for keeping protection on his cork!
    The rest of us dirty birds don’t care what kind of slime we spread around.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

I like having the plastic on. After two years you can take it off and you have a BRAND NEW cork!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Or you could take a piece of 200 grit sandpaper and it will look like new in 1 minute.

mr-special
    MPLS

The KatKing/Saltstriker combo from Cabela’s is one heck of a deal. Alot of the catters on this forum has them. They run about $65, but you can use it for channels, and flats. The rods pretty darn good, but the reel is great.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Or you could take a piece of 200 grit sandpaper and it will look like new in 1 minute.

Touche.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

But Larry and D, due to capillary action the slime and what not was still getting under there, I could see it. To me it’s like buying a sweet sports car, but driving it with the body covered up.

Ok Brian, I am going to beat you to your comeback. At least it’s better than putting a F-150 engine in a Ferrari. Well, with my gear I guess maybe a better analogy would be putting a scooter engine in a K-car.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Now that I’m pointing fingers…

Pug, you are the ONLY one that takes the plastic off!

Hot water and Dawn for Dishes works well unless there’s two years worth of grim or shad scales.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

The KatKing/Saltstriker combo from Cabela’s is one heck of a deal. Alot of the catters on this forum has them. They run about $65, but you can use it for channels, and flats. The rods pretty darn good, but the reel is great.

Great idea Mr. Special!

Also – if the Saltstriker is a bit too rich for her blood there are other KingKat combos for around 30 bucks that would probably do the job..

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Also – if the Saltstriker is a bit too rich for her blood there are other KingKat combos for around 30 bucks that would probably do the job..

I’ve got the regular combo. Nothing fancy, but it does the job when needed. The reel is huge, but the drag is actually really smooth on it. If she’s looking to get by cheap, it’s be a good way.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Well, with my gear I guess maybe a better analogy would be putting a scooter engine in a K-car.

Oh, how I miss my K-car

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Ha! I droke a Reliant for awhile.

riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

I bought my reels on ebay.

Flatheads– abu-7000’s– And I have a Pen GTO for a back up. My rods I bought from Moore’s he has quality stuff marked at a fair price….
    My wife uses a old zeco 808 that was used for bowfishing with a short musky rod. That set-up has worked great for flatties up to 15 pounds so far.

Channels and carp — I bought Shimano bait runners reels. For channel rods I like my Berkley glow sticks.
    Carp rods I got at Sportsman’s Warehouse on clearence. They are basicly what would be called a noodle rod on the north shore for kamloops.

Sturgeon — I use my flathead stuff…

Eric

mr-special
    MPLS

Personally I’m not the biggest fan of combo’s. Cause usually either the rod or reel, is of lesser quality. You might get a good rod,but the reel is OK. Or get a good reel and the rod is just OK. I have seen the KingKat/Saltstriker in action “FisherSherry” and it’s a good combo. I might even pick one up myself.
    For a cheap and very good Rod. I’ld look at the Berkley BigGame found at Walmart or FleetFarm for $20. I bought one a couple of years ago and it’s one of my favorites. you can pair that with a good $20-30 spinning reel and have a pretty darn good setup.
    And of coarse stop at Moore’s. They’ll make a combo for ya. You’ld get to check out everything for yourself, tons of info on cattin.

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

Sounds like they have all been covered. You can enjoy a day fishing with any rod and reel but try to match you tackle with the fish you going after. Some channel gear might not fit really well for large flats.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Sounds like they have all been covered. You can enjoy a day fishing with any rod and reel but try to match you tackle with the fish you going after. Some channel gear might not fit really well for large flats.

Ever try landing a 15-20 pound carp on an ultralight with 4 pound test that you were using to fish for bullheads?

Sometimes you have the most fun when you mismatch your gear!

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

Quote:

Ever try landing a 15-20 pound carp on an ultralight with 4 pound test that you were using to fish for bullheads?

Yes I have. Except I was targeting carp. El Cheapo brand ultralight spinning reel on a fly rod… Holy crap is that fun. It’s a good way to ruin a perfectly good reel and fly rod, I know, but some things are just worth it.

I’ll be fishing with my sis today and let her know the wealth of info I just received. Looks like she’ll be outfitted pretty well by the end of the week, so a big thanks to everyone.

I might have to start building a backup rig pretty soon here…

Ben

ronzych
    Centerville,MN.

I have the KingCat with the free hat included!
    I have only caught one cat on it so far.
    Brian, Pug is the ugly one

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

El Cheapo brand ultralight spinning reel on a fly rod…

Been talking to Pug haven’t you.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

OUCH!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Man, how do I make it through the winter without all the love!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.