Bait?

• dfresh
    Fridley, MN

So I cooked up some shell on shrimp the other night (great deal at Cub BTW 2.50 for about a pound of medium shrimp). The ones that I didn’t cook went into a cool whip container and are now pretty rank in the fridge. Can (should) I use these as bait for channels? I have differing reports and would like you guys to weigh in.

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

My dad used to say the ranker the better!!!!

He used to have us kids catch clams and cut em put em in a coffee can and bury em in the ground in full sun for a couple of weeks and cats went nuts, hard part was getting the smell off your hands. Chippman

oldguy
    Lisbon, Iowa

We used it all the time when i was a kid. Peel them, cut in half length wise, thread the two pieces on a good sized hook. you can pull the first piece up the line a ways if needed. try it,you’re just going to throw it away. i freeze mine in between fishing trips,

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Shrimp make great catfish bait. A few years ago a buddy of mine had some fresh shrimp he got in the South Padre Islands go bad on the ride home and we used those–great stuff!

–Whitey

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve always used shrimp with good success. I generally use fresh ones, but I am sure for channels bad ones will work too. If they are raw, I’d keep the shell on. Cooked ones with tougher meat, I remove the shell.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Good stuff. I will try later this afternoon and let you guys know.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Well, we went out for some shore fishing in North minnepolis. I have to say that the shrimp was a great idea. We fished for about 3 hours and never went more than 10 minutes without a bite, and this was in high water contitions. I caught a 2 pounder and a 5-6 pouner (channels). My friend caught himself a tiny 1/3 pounder, but it was his first cat ever, so it was a moral victory at least.

I will definitely be using this bait again.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Very nice. I guess I should have taken my own advice. I was fishing crappie minnows up by the 610 bridge. Although I can finally say I broke my 2006 cat cherry. About a 2lb channel. I’ll take it. Nephew also hooked into a walleye about 2lbs too. But being the rules conscience fisherman, he let the hook come out right at shore before we could land it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.