Sturgeon Excursion! To sign up, see new thread.

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Who’s interested in catching a few of these!

A quote form last year….

Quote:

In three days we landed 75 sturgeon for five guys. Several of these fish were between 50 and 65 inches.

It’s still going to be too early from Flatheads!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m checking interest in a 2-3 day trip to Rainy River for same prehistoric action!

Cost? For the cabin, about $30 per night…6 hours from the Metro area.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

We’re looking at April 16th (date not yet confirmed).

These things are a blast!

The more people that go, the less expensive it will be…

Any takers?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Hey Brian,

I might have to tie up some flies that look like a glob of night crawlers

Rootski

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Now that would be a trip huh…two days later…you might land it…need something bigger than a 15 weight thou!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Brian,

Pencil me in for this trip. I can’t think of a better way to start a season than with 40-50 inch fish!

I’ll concede that my 8 weight might be a little light. What would you recommend for tackle for these guys? I can see where my Musky stuff would handle the load, but what about terminal tackle?

Rootski

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Alright Rootski…we will be fishing together…even if it’s not for those little green things!

I’m thinking a dark trico..in about size 22…maybe a bit bigger…a 20.

I’m not sure what everyone will be using…I’ll be using a about a 5/0 Gammakatzu Circle hook and a no roll sinker. (I believe any two oz sinker will do up there).

Muskie rods work well…and if you do bring along your fly rod…I don’t want to be in the same boat with you!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

That would be a blast. I would love to get in on this if I have the days open!!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I haven’t confirmed the date Lenny…but it will be the day after the close of the walleye season…which I’ve been told is April 15th.

Talk to the little woman tonight…er were you talking about your job?

blufloyd

Hey birthday sturgeons. email me @yahoo.com with details is this us side or canada? Are there monster crappies too? I’ll keep that a secret. Abu 6500’s and heavy e glass rods work?

hof
    Rochester, MN

I would love to go, but stream trout opener is April 15th…. That is a busy weekend at the store and I will be working. Sure sounds like fun!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Mike, Call the DNR…and tell them your busy that weekend…they’ll understand! Always work in the way! That’s too bad, sure would be nice to see the custom rods I got from you in action! Those St Croix’s are going to be bending! I’m going on record as saying that I’ve never broken a rod (on a fish) yet. This could be the test!

Muskie gear and anything close to a Garica 6500 will work out nicely. I’ll be taking a 6500…(wonder if Sturgeon bite on a Trophy Catfish reel?) and a 7000 for a back up.

People do catch this on walleye gear….but if you get into a halfways good one, the rest that’s in your boat will have to pull up their lines as we motor around after the fish. You can be spooled and these fish can pull the boat around.

I would not recommend anything less then ski gear.

If you want to go…and are short on a rod…let me know. I have a few extra rods I can bring along….if you don’t mind a little dried cat slime on them!

PS…Looking forward to meeting up with you Blue!

PS thought I should mention…Bass guys are welcome too…as well as golfers….

Fish ON!

blufloyd

Make you a deal Mike, I’ll brag up my custom HOF 4 ft icerod, you pay for trip, I’ll fill your spot and I promise not to use the icerod while there. Works for me anyway. Trout? those oily fish that drive my blood sugar nuts? O well beats greenies anyway.

Maybe we can hook a few nice ones and tether them to a stump then have a tourney.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Make you a deal Mike, I’ll brag up my custom HOF 4 ft icerod, you pay for trip, I’ll fill your spot and I promise not to use the icerod while there. Works for me anyway. Trout? those oily fish that drive my blood sugar nuts? O well beats greenies anyway.

Maybe we can hook a few nice ones and tether them to a stump then have a tourney.

Nice try!

blufloyd

It is an important piece of my early and late ice arsenal. Better than my pulsator, any tricks to those things?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Is it one rod or 2 up there?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Chris…I’m out for a couple days…be back soon!

Mike W…It appears it’s a one rod river.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

WOW!!! Talk about some big fish. Nice guys!

I see HOF is appearing over here in the Catin Forum. Hmmm, maybe Mike has Catin on his mind. Maybe Mike is having dreams of catchin big Cats with Briank next summer?

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

WOW!!! Talk about some big fish. Nice guys!

I see HOF is appearing over here in the Catin Forum. Hmmm, maybe Mike has Catin on his mind. Maybe Mike is having dreams of catchin big Cats with Briank next summer?

Yep, I’m trying to keep an eye on Brian!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I also noticed some containers of Catfish Stinkbait in Mikes store [HOF] yesterday when I was out there. I think there is more than ”just keeping an eye on Briank” going on here. Smells more like a Catman in the making if you ask me.
    Thanks, Bill

fishhead
    Chaska

Put my name on that list.
    I wouldn’t miss this.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

This post move down the line a bit…by user…

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

I hopeing to make it up there after a couple of freinds went on there last spring and landed some great fish pushing 75″. They were up there the weekend after eye closeing. So I guess count me and my son in but we already have a place to stay. Any ideas where you guys plan on booking at trip. I just might be able to help out there with a call to a certain resort that is just a 3 minute from the hole you want to fish.

blufloyd

Wow I made the confirmed list with no cash outlay and no idea where I am going or whatever. Neat. I got a couple poles but no boat for those things, will that matter?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Blu…those are just details! If you really want to get wound up…do a little googling for Sturgeon on the Rainy River. Might even want to make a seperate post on it.

Tell me, ya think if one of us guys hooked into a 80 lb monster…we wouldn’t all stop fishing and watch?

I don’t care who you are…that’s good fishen!

Confirmed departure date: Saturday,

Saturday, April 15th 2006

hanson

Hey B.

I’m in man!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

“Uh Dah!”

Gotcha Chris! I’m learning “the code”!

blufloyd

Ok this is a 2-3 day weekend thing? I leave here like fri am early spend night
    somewhere near you? carpool? caravan? bus? rv rental? train?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hang in there Blu…I’m working on it!

ratherbfishn
    St Paul Park MN

April 15th Pretty slow at work that time of year. Count me in at 95% on this one. Sounds like a blast. Caught a few over 50 inches this fall. Couldnt imadgine 60-70 plus.
    Brian I will keep in touch and do my best to make this one.
    Great idea

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.