Selkirk Rocks and My Back is Killing Me

• dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Went up to Selkirk this weekend with my buddy Bob to fish the legendary Red River. It did not disappoint. Fishing was so incredible words can’t even begin to describe the mayhem. But I’ll try . It was so good that we tried to avoid doubles at all costs because they caused too much havoc in the boat. It was so good we fished with ONE rod 80% of the time so the other guy could take a break. My back hurts and I feel like I’ve been through the ringer. We quit a day early because we couldn’t take anymore! And now for the finaly….I don’t care if I see another channel cat till spring!! It was that good. And the fish ranged between 13-22lbs. I’ll post some pics soon. Wow!!

demoncleaner
    East Troy, WI

My heart bleeds for you Dirk.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

last one…you get the idea

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

How cool. So many cats you had to start whining about too many, lol. I hope to achieve a night like that at least once this year – on flatheads, though. I can’t imagine going down to one pole between two fishermen – either you’re a wimp or it was really spectacular…

Nice pics.

mile832
    MN

Those are some great pics Dirk. You may need to add some Ben-Gay to your tackle box next time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My back is hurting just looking at them!

Hope it’s as good in Sept!

rburns
    Wisconsin

Were people catching goldeyes?

Looks like you got a bunch of decent fish from the same anchor.

BTW…that looks like Lockport to me.

2 more days until I hit the road for the Red. I can’t wait.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Dirk,

I have been looking at a Red River trip for the last oh decade or so and haven’t been able to pull it off. Water looks a little rough. Were you fishing a dam tailrace? I take it cutbait was the ticket?

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

We brang up some dead suckers and then caught goldeye to. The goldeyes weren’t jumping in the boat but we got em in the slower flow areas upstream from Stu’s. Poeple were catching some right off his dock to. Both worked equally well. Most of our fish came from the dam area but people were getting them downriver to. The flood spillway had no flow going through so we didn’t even go up that way.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Sweet! Great job Bud! Now that school is out fo ryou, we need to get out!
    Tuck

emover
    Malcom, IA

Dirk,
    Nice work, hope the back recovers, the memories and pics will last forever.

dave

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

Nice job Dirk I have been there 3 times now and looking forward to heading up there again. the fishing is unreal

CA

fishhead
    Chaska

What a horrible time you must have had!

I know where your comming from though. I got belly bruises the two times I have made the trip. They were giving me crap about sitting on the edge of the baot without my line in. Guys gotta have a break now and again.

Glad you had a great time. Still thinking about Sept?

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

My bud Bob was complaining of soreness in the groin area from the rod butt . Thanks again for the info, it was most helpful .

mudcatkid
    On water

incredible pics Dirk!!!!!!!!!!!

It really must have been rough to reel in all those fish. I hope you are not too sore!

How many days were you up there? I always talk about getting up there some summer…but never do ….i better do it before i enter the “real world.”

once again……..great pics!!!!!!!

dark30
    Belle Plaine, Mn.

Stu’s Playground is a must trip for anybody who wants to experience very fast channel cat action that’s for sure! You got to hand it to the Canadian fish and game boys for protecting the fisheries on the Red like they do.

I got a few places I want to go yet but I’ll be back up to Selkirk again this year. I still want to try them on crank baits if the river is clean enough this time.

Great pics Dirk!…Kinda makes a guy want to fill up the tank and go.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

MCK, watch this forum for RED (river) September post…coming soon!

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Mudcat, we fished for about 8 hrs on day one, 41/2 on day two, and skipped day three. When the bite is “on” I now believe the guys who say they catch 100’s of fish on their trips. This is pre-spawn stuff. It has to slow as the spawn nears, doesn’t it?? I should say that there were some things that we were doing that really cranked up our catch rate…not everyone was doing as well…but everyone I talked to was catching fish. And the average size is unreal.

mudcatkid
    On water

well, i will most likely be in Manitoba the last weekend in June…….but i will not necesarily be fishing. rather…i will be checkin out some duck hunting areas near winnepegosis. . maybe i can make a trip over towards selkrik area and fish for a day, but i wont have a boat..lol…so i may have to find a guide……

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

On our way to and from Pine Falls in November we’ve seen loads of honkers around Winnepeg…you should get into some great shooting.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dirk, can you post what you were doing differant than others?

Inquiring minds want to know….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.