Flatheads on the nest

• jeremy99
    IN

Flatheads are on the nest here on the Ohio river. I am having a hard time catching them right now. If I can’t catch flatheads then I would just assume not even be at there. Does anyone have any helpfull hunts on how to and where to catch flatheads while there on nest. Are they on nest yet up at the Mississippi River? Good luck catch em all!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Jeremy99! Welcome to the board…from Ohio yet!

I have to plead ignorace or insanity…take your pick, but I thought flats spawned in holes in the bank ect. What do you mean by nests?

I’m not sure what the population is of Flats out there… but wouldn’t it be better to leave them protect their young while there spawning? More fish a couple years down the road? Just a question, I don’t know the answer…

Have you been boating any earlier this year? What’s your largest?

Briank in MN and sometime WI (when my wife makes me get furnature!)

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I thought it was the Blues that nest in holes under the banks.

Gator Hunter

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Nesting on the Ohio. That means the pre-spawn bite is on right now on the upper Mississippi. Water levels are coming down. I can’t wait for this weekend.

jeremy99
    IN

yes I mean spawning. Our pool in the ohio has lots of flatheadss. We also have lots of blue and channels also. The biggest we have boated this year was 32.06 lbs at the end of May. We are having a harder time right now boating a good one. We went out this weekend and caught 7 flatheads but our biggest was only 12 lbs. Most of them weighed between 8 – 10 lbs. The blues are getting ready to come off nest over here in the ohio. Can’t wait!! We have a dam that we fish in the summer for blues and do real good at. I am coming to the Mississippi River at the end of August for a big Cat Tournament. It is going to be on pool 19. What do you guys know about that area? If it’s top secret I understand.

zoomsuperfluke

I was out last night on pool 5 and I had 7 they went from 3-7 lbs. They were flats and channels. I use a thick cane pole with a bobber and a big chunk of crawler. Seems like you miss to many with a casting setup. Boy do they pull…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.