Catfish Spawn

I have never caught a catfish before, and I live next to a small river that holds some catfish when they start spawning. Do any of you know when catfish start spawning in Michigan? I have tried fishing for them, but I have only been catching some decent carp. Some bait suggestions would be great. I use cut up creek chub and shiners, as well as hot-dog chunks soaked in jello powder and garlic powder. I met a person at the river and he said hot-dogs work really well for the catfish in this river. Any tips would be awesome!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m assuming you’re talking channel cats. They normally get lock jaw when spawning closer to June. (Times can change depending on water temp…warm water discharge etc)

All I’ve used is cut bait like you’re using or stink bait. I’ve heard of people using hot dogs and I’m sure it works. They eat anything.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Google This:

Conquering the Channel Catfish Spawn – Catfish Now

My daughter and I are the headline photo.

Read Brad Duricks books also.

robby
    Quad Cities

Down here on the Mississippi fishing Channel Cats during the spawn is not just easy, but a complete blast. This technique is easier in a boat, but a boat is not necessary. We find an area on the River with current and rip rap. Basically rig a leech on a small circle hook under a split shot and a slip bobber. Depth usually about 2 feet. Drift the bait a few feet off of the rip rap and BAM!. The catfish do not mess around with the bait, your bobber will just disappear under water. Do not set the hook with a circle hook, just start reeling and sweep your rod to the side. Hook will be in the corner of the mouth and easy to remove without injuring the fish 99% of the time. Most use a long medium action rod with approx. 8 lb test mono. It is also fun to use a long noodle rod, like a steelhead rod with lighter line. My dad has used a light fly rod. This is very productive. If not in a boat, the longer rod you use better, then you set your bait out a few feet from shore and just walk down the bank following your bobber. They typical fish we catch are between 2 1/2 and 8 lbs. Have caught larger. Nice thing about leaches also is that they are tough, and you can often catch multiple fish without rebaiting. Make sure to get female leaches if possible. Good luck. Dont get stung. Feel free to PM if you want more info.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Tight to non-heavy current Rip Rap is a classic small fish pattern for sure, and if done right like robby explained, can be a blast!

I went to the river yesterday, and caught a carp, 4 rock bass, and a ton of creek chubs and shiners. I found a dead catfish on the bank, but couldn’t seem to catch any live ones. Thanks for tips though!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

A few really good reads for someone starting catfishing.
    Read in this order is probably best:

1) Channel Catfish Fever

2) Life and Times in Catfish Country

3) Brad Durick’s Cracking the Channel Catfish Code

4) Brad Druick’s Advanced Catfishing Made Easy (Not really necessary if you understand Catfish Code book well!)

Them 4 will get you going like rocket fuel.
    The 3rd book will help you catch all species in a river.

Brad is an excellent guide and author. I booked two trips with him just to pick his brain and brought someone else to reel in the fish.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.