Catching Walleyes Daily

• CSmith

Alright might sound stupid, but here it is.
    When fishing a lake with an abundance of walleye in early spring for example.
    Is it really possible to catch fish every day?
    Im not new to walleye fishing but im no pro,
    is the bite just that tough some days?
    when i make a 3 hr drive an come home without boating a single fish it makes me think.
    what am i doin wrong? Im always mixing up my tatcis. Or doing what the whole flotella of boats is doin.
    People make it sound like there always catching fish wherever they go.
    Is it possible to catch spring walleyes day in an day out??

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Every once in a while it could be tough, but I think it’s possible every time out. Lots of variables.

bigpike

The key here is your three hour drive. The walleye locations and feeding times in spring can vary daily, hourly even by the minute. You need to spend time on the lake to figure out there location and from there your experience should guide you. But the toughest weather conditions can throw a hot bite into lockdown

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Catching walleye daily can be difficult at any time of year. But in early spring, I often wait until a little later in the morning, after the sun has gotten up there in the sky and has begun warming the water back up.

I also fish smaller, shallower, more dirty water lakes that warm sooner and quicker…often times these lakes are 400ac or less and bottom out at 10ft to 15ft deep. Less area to fish, less depth for fish to run to; you can kind of pin them down.

Many people will fish the “typical” walleye locations such as points, bars, and even mid-lake humps. I tend to do just the opposite. I’ll look to shallow bays and long stretches of shoreline early spring. And when I say shallow, we’re talking 3ft to 5ft deep. Pitching jigs & minnows or perhaps leeches to new weed growth has worked well over the years. More often than not, I’m finding those males in the 13″ – 17″ range, but occassionally a female that pushes past the 20″ mark shows up.

Sometimes jig color makes a difference, sometimes it’s the jigging cadence. Sometimes they hit far from the boat where the jig is swimming more horizontally, sometimes right below the boat where you’re popping it nearly vertical (and even in 3ft of water). Paying attention to the finer details has importance. Was I pitching into the wind or with the wind? Was I popping it, dragging it, swimming it or hopping the jig back? And the list goes on.

So it takes a lot of experimenting, changing and moving until you find that “aha” moment where you catch a fish or two. Once that happens, you can generally dial in on them.

I usually only fish weekends, so if I can hit on one of the two days, I’m feeling pretty good about myself. Lol. And if I can scratch up a meal for the family, all the better. Now days the electronics can give you everything up to stock market reports it seems. But I’ve found that time on the water gaining that experience and knowledge is your most powerful and useful asset.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.