Castle Rock Lake, WI. Jan. 9th 2010

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Since the last time I stepped foot on this piece of hard water more than 20 years has gone by, in a blink.

Blue Fleck, Mikehd and myself left Sparta around 7am to meet up with Mike’s brother in law (also Mike) who has been out on the Lake a couple times already this year. They have been hauling in some dandy crappies with a mix of white bass, the key words here….. “have been hauling”

There were some nice fish being caught the first hour or so after punching holes in 11-13fow. After that the bite died off and it was just good to see or hear someone in the group mark or catch a fish.

The white Bass were more aggressive and more likely to bite but a few nice crappies did make it top side. Plus one walleye at 15 1/4 inches smacked a jigging spoon with a minnow head

There was also 3 flags which only produced three dropped Rosy reds after a short run.

While on a walk about with the Lazer Mag in one hand, MarCum and a St. Croix in the other, this gill smacked a spoon in 8fow. Looks to me like this lake might hold some bruisers if a guy could land on top of them.

We struggled through a tough bite but did have fun on new waters. The three of us were in total agreement of making a trip back with the intentions of dissecting this resource a little further. The fish that did commit made for some rod bending action. Good quality crappies and hard tugging whities made for some smiles through out the day.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The Spoon of the Day, Blue Fleck’s slender spoon

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

Great report Bret thanks

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Nice job Bret and gang Always exploring aren’t ya?

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Bret Great Job !! If you go back PM me I’ll help you out the best I can. My brother-inlaw has a place on the lake and we fish it alot. We’re going up this Thur,Fri,Sat. I’ll post how we do. New Years weekend they had over 70 crappies in 2 days. All were 11″ and bigger. It can be a tough place to fish but it’s treated us pretty good. Glenn

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Hi Bret , great report about a great lake. Lots of stripers in the lake and crappies as well. Let me know when you come back to Castle Rock and maybe we can hook up and do some fishing and cooking out for a day.

From Jeff

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Glen and Jeff,
    Thank you very much for the offers

I’m going to keep an eye on the weather because I plan on being back soon

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Good job on a tough bite day

Let me know if you want to try a bigger group effort sometime

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.