Newbie to Petenwell. Where to start out?

• fisherman-andy

Well maybe trying Petenwell for the very first time. Looking for some help information of where to start out and buy bait? Any plow roads? Access fees? Where to launch out of? Will be mainly relying on lake maps too.

Looking to catch crappies, maybe some whitebass and catfish. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Petenwell is not like Winnebago! No roads plowed, no bridges! Bait shops depend on what side of the lake you access from? If from the east side I suggest Petewell Sport Shop (608)564-7707. All the bait you need and the owner Ron and his wife are great people. They open at 6am and have ethanol free gas. He also has a Facebook page setup if your into that, and his shop is in Arkdale right off Z! Far as lake access there are numerous spots on the east and west shore, and your mode of transport determines you access. This winter there are some very bad seams and if your driving your truck out many you won’t be able to from. Atv access should be ok at all with some caution. This also will change daily as water levels and current will drastically change with draw down progression.
    For the fishing no matter the lake access point you need to find the old river chanell or the deeper transitions if fishing southern areas. The key is brushpiles or any wood you can encounter in 18-25 fow. Without previous experience I suggest a GPS with a lakemaster or navionics chip to put you on the chanell to start. Then you just need to drill and move on the edge till you find wood. You will mark and catch fish off wood out there. The fish roam all the time. The wood holds them longer so you get more time to capitalize as they move through. It’s also a very large lake so playing pocket fisherman and crowding out guys is not needed or courteous. As more new anglers seem to show up the space and courtesy seem to be going downhill.

fisherman-andy

Thx for the tips Bronzbak! So driving out with a vehicle may not be a good option then. Likely ATV and snowmobile. How thick is the ice generally there now? Anyone willing to share anything else?

prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

If you can use some common sense and watch where you’re going, truck travel is ok…. There was at least 20″ of ice out there last Saturday. I have a one ton deisel truck and had zero problems. Give the guys at Petenwell bait a call, they’re right on the lake and have good intell…

As far as fishing, I usually do best on sunny days. Like was said just find the old river channel then drill, drill, drill. Look for wood if possible and try all depths from on top of the channel to the break into the channel and also out in the flat of the old channel. Good luck out there, use your head and you’ll be fine.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.