Anybody doing anything?

• IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Was out on the Rock last Wednesday . Between me and fishing buddies we iced 37 crappie that where all over 10″s.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I haven’t been on the rock yet but made it out to pete and fished the channel edge off of tenth street. Caught around ten fish of the usual Pete-Rock variety. Tons of lookers. Are you fishing on the buckhorn side?

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

No I fish the main lake most of the time. Too many stupid fights over there over non productive brush piles. Waiting for a good hard freeze to get away from the small eyes and get after the big boys.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Was out on the Rock yesterday. Most places had 10″of ice but found one spot with only 6. No snow on top. This week ice depths should add up.

castle-rock-clown

Myself and a few family and friends will be on the rock this sat/sun. We either access at the turtle or from the east side, Carlsons. Would accessing from the Adams co park get us closer to the more productive spots? We are looking primarily for walleye and crappie Any tips would be appreciated.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Didn’t know this thread was here… going to hit either Castle Rock or the Pete Friday and Saturday as well taking the ATV and shack as it looks to be a little chilly. Looking for crappie….. dumb IDO shows have me thinking of them more and more. Just need to decide where. I’ll try to post as possible. Anyone have any magic advice, even on what body to pick from… ?

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

CRC or should I say DJ you have exposed yourself, I suspected but now it’s confirmed. LOL. Cycle guy guess you have nothing to hide. As far as what lake to choose from, first it would depend on how many years of experience you have on Pete. If not much I would go to the Rock. With the wind this weekend and what the ice is up to on the Pete if your not a seasoned veteran I would stay off that body of water for the weekend. The shanty brush pile wars have not started on the yellow river side of the rock yet so I am suspecting there doing all right there. Also good reports coming from the pete. Your call.

castle-rock-clown

Daaannng, I’ve been discovered. At least I know I’m not the only one who bounces back and forth between LL and IDO. But, on serious note, it looks like the wind is making the Pete a little treturous. I myself m looking at trying the main channel where the yellow intersects wit it. If nothing or slow, I then will work my way up that little dead end channel that heads word devils island…safe ice permitting. Stop on by if in the area. Just look for the CLOWN!

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Got my butt handed to me Sunday 1/20/12 Went out on the Rock in the afternoon and marked very little.

castle-rock-clown

Was out on the ‘rock sat and sun. Marked several fish on sat NE of the turtle, no bites. We came off after dark, but either were unaware of the shanty issue at the time, or maybe they went in later that night. Sunday we were not far west of Carlson’s and were constantly fighting mom nature. When initially we tried setting up hub shelters, the ice was so hard the ice anchors just spun…until the drill attachment shattered. We ended up tying off to the trailer. The shelter was a Godsend. We were’nt marking any fish so my nephews son decided to drill some other holes. Both inner sections of the chisel blades snapped off, end of drilling. Then what seemed out of nowhere, appears this gentleman. He stops, we cry our blues, he offers to not only auger some holes for us, but actually put us on some of his most productive ‘secret hot-spots’. Off he went, we took down and stored everything, and went to start my 2012 Yamaha Grizzly with electronic fuel injection. The pig would’nt start. I would have drilled a circle around the thing and let it become ‘structure, but as previously stated the auger was bad. Second choise was to re-erect the hub shelter and cover the ATV, and crank up the big buddy heater. An hour later the thing fired up…thank God for plan ‘b’. The nephews had lost enthusiasm for ice fishing since we still had to drive back to Racine that evening. But I insisted I go over and thank the gentleman. I rode over and did such. Upon leaving there was this arch, or maybe a halo above his frabil, and in it were the words IceAsylum.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

That was no secret hot spot just a point on the river channel edge that I picked off the map. Man don’t be saying stuff like that I’ll have everybody and there brother thinking I would give up my spots. Hey guys that won’t happen no matter what kind of hard luck story you have. So please don’t waste your time and mine.

castle-rock-clown

Quote:

That was no secret hot spot just a point on the river channel edge that I picked off the map. Man don’t be saying stuff like that I’ll have everybody and there brother thinking I would give up my spots. Hey guys that won’t happen no matter what kind of hard luck story you have. So please don’t waste your time and mine.

I would hope that others would see just a little exaggeration and some poetic licence in my prose. The story is all I have to show for the weekend.

Chuck Melcher

I enjoyed the story….. My plans are back on for this coming weekend. Auger running, stuff getting sorted in advance. Have to cover an ice race in Tomah on Sunday, so hoping for the Rock or Pete Monday and Tuesday – weather looks good so far.

You guys that have been out…. do I need chains on the front of the atv for steering and such, or is there a little sticky snow cover to work with? Can’t wait to get out.

castle-rock-clown

I’ve had my 4wd grizzly on the ice towing a trailer with all my stuff in it with no chains. Yea it slipped once in a while and the steering is not the best, but I get around. Now I don’t know that if you have rear chains only if it would overwhelm the steering? Maybe someone else can expand on that.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

You’ll be fine with rear chains on glare ice. Just go a little slower and if coming to a turn slow down. Its no big deal, and it sounds like you might end up with some snow anyway.

Chuck Melcher

Great. I just have and use them on the front, but if I can avoid em I sure will. Sort of a pain to put on.

Now to decide on the Pete or Castle. Crappies here I come. First ice trip of the season.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Anybody heard what the rain and warmth has been doing to the shorelines?

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Every body must be doing well no one posting. Personally can’t complain limited out on crappies the other day all 10+ inches. had to weed thru small ones and move around till I found active fish.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I would post more but I don’t have a sponsor.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

You should look up PK lures!! Haha!!

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I think there is a guide out on Pete that might sponsor you but rumor has it you get paid in baitmate.

prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

I’m gonna head up tomorrow morning, 2/23. Can a guy get a full size one ton truck on at the Lure? Is there a big heave in front of the launch again this year? Thanks for any insight.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I don’t fish the Pete often and when I do I stay away from the more used part of the lake. What I can say is keep your eyes open for brown snow or anything that seems higher than the rest out there. Good luck and keep it on top. I’ll be on the rock with a quad by 6 am.

prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

Good luck out there tomorrow. Where do you get on the Rock at? Have only fished it once before and went of the turtle. Didn’t have much luck. Any suggestions? Gotta drive past the Rock would be willing to try it instead.. Not sure now where to go…

prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

Well we made it out Saturday morning, on the ice by 7am. Thanks to all the pm’s I got, and a call up to Petenwell baitshop, decided to just drive out. There was at least 20” of ice everywhere we went. There’s a small heave in front of the beach at the Lure, but you just have to drive south along the shore for a couple 100 yards then was able to turn out on the ice. There was only 4” to 5” of snow on the lake, people were driving cars all over. Wish I could say we killed ‘em out there but it was pretty slow… Marked lots of fish but tough to get them to bite.

Three of us out there, 3 tip-ups, 2 tip-downs, a wind tip-up, and we were each jigging too. Only got fish jigging and on the tip-downs, no flags all day. We set up on the channel edge ¾ mile out, fished from 7’ to 21’, best action in 16’ to 17’. Ended up with 10 nice crappies 11.5” to 12.5”, a couple 6” white bass, and 4 walleyes from 6” to 12”. We stuck it out until dark, coming off the ice about 6pm, so not the greatest fish per hour per fisherman but had a couple windows of time where we caught most fish. Tried a LOT of different baits, slender spoons, pimples, jigging raps, salmo’s, buckshot’s, ratsos, shrimpos, diamond jigs, a bunch of other small jigs, bare hooks with waxies and small minnows, basically threw the whole box at ‘em.

I figured it was gonna be busy out there and it was, but I can’t believe the balls some people have… We had two holes in about 16’ in the middle of our 40ish yard spread that we got most of the crappies out of, and the guys next to us seen us catching fish and walked right over and drilled holes 15’ away…. Between us and our outer tip-ups… Kinda had a language barrier but got the ‘it’s a public lake we can fish where ever we want’ speel… Luckily, I guess, the feeding window closed and none of us got any more fish there, and after an hour or so they packed up their fancy ‘yota pickups and left.

We got almost all the crappies on jigging raps, three of the 4 walleyes came on tip-downs, and the rest on 1/8 ounce slender spoons. Didn’t get a single fish on waxies, all came on minnows of some sort. Wished the sun would’ve been out more as our best bites were during the sunny periods, but still a great day on the ice. Grilled some Johnsonvilles and a few Budweisers helped pass the slow times.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.