Casting for Pike

• tim hurley

Most soak a sucker this time of year (may bring some suckers to hedge my bets) but I want to cast while I can. Any lure recommendations? Thought about slow rolling a spinner, or using a swimbait-any other ideas?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

#12 Husky Jerk is what I would start with.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Anything you can move slow and pause. Cranks, spinners or big swim baits with a slow retrieve and pauses along the way.

tim hurley

will the Husky Jerk actually suspend or should I use suspend dots?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

#12 Husky Jerk is what I would start with.

What he said. Reel for a few feet then stop. It should suspend well enough for pike.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

will the Husky Jerk actually suspend or should I use suspend dots?

No need for anything extra.
    Fish it just as it comes. Like Mike said, reel a few feet and pause. Experiment on the length of the pause, there are times I’ve seen them want it held still as long as 5-10 seconds.

Mepp’s #5 Red and White blade and dressed White.
    Mepp’s #5 in Firetiger

I have had a lot of large Pike in the 40’s with the longest 47 inches.
    Rod St Croix MH Shamino reel and 17lbs Berkley XL with a 9 inch 30lbs leader Berkley.
    I have never needed heavier line. I am considering Braid just for increased casting distance.

Attachments:
    1. image.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Tim just use your bass lures and add a leader. They’re able and willing to attack just about any moving lure.

tim hurley

Thanks G but this weekend I’m fishing crappies!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Anything you can move slow and pause. Cranks, spinners or big swim baits with a slow retrieve and pauses along the way.

This is my exact same approach.

Angling Spiders

They will hit almost anything. We use a lot of spoons. Similar to others, slow retrieve then pause, repeat.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I caught 4 of them on Saturday when I was bass fishing and they were all pretty good size (at least for around here, anyways) of 27+ inches. The 33 incher I caught was the biggest one I’ve caught all season too. Bear in mind I do not specifically target them, I don’t fish in Canada, and I almost rarely fish the bigger lakes that have better than average fish. Here’s the 33 incher, it weighed just over 9 pounds.

Attachments:
    1. 10-10-20-pike-1.jpg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.