Cass Lake

• Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Family is taking a long weekend to Cass Lake second weekend of July. We will be renting a pontoon most likely, (wish my boat could hold more than 3). Anyway I’m anticipating looking for a weedline edge walleye bite and panfish. Anything someone new to the lake and area should be aware of?

Being non-residents is there any regulations for MN that are not easily found published by the DNR? I have no issues looking through stuff just have known some things to be harder to read clearly and it’s easier to ask.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

The lake has been devastated by rusty crawfish, which gobble up weeds like crazy. You’ll see them all over because the water is gin clear.

The weeds are mostly located in Allen’s bay of Cass, which is on the NW side. It’s a nice area to fish. The main lake of Cass is miles of sandbars in 3-10′ of water, devoid of almost all weeds. There are some weeds here and there, and they’re goldmines that you’ll have to search for.

Cass lake is a part of a Mississippi River chain. The lake immediately upstream of Cass is Andrusia. To get to it, there’s a little winding channel through the pencil reeds that’s kind of cool to see. It’s the Mississippi River. Andrusia is a neat lake, full of weeds. The southwest part of Andrusia is full of cabbage and the walleye anglers seem to keep keep their nets busy down there.

Connected to the north of Cass is Kitchi. It’s a pretty well known panfish gem. Area panfish guides hit that routinely.

My experience is limited to two musky trips up there totaling five days, so I don’t have any specifics about location or choice of lure/bait. It’s a fun musky lake. Maybe you’ll snag one of those. Watch for them following your baits back to the boat.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Lots of structure and 18-20″ eyes right now. Weed lines are good, my buddy Steve guides there and knows the lake really well.

Cass is actually several lakes that flooded to become one. Some areas you can walk across in the middle of the lake. Check out the lake on the island for something cool.

Fish the wind, find the fish and pitch jigs. Lots of eyes and perch.

David Blais

Just spent a week at stony point with the The family. I couldn’t buy a fish! Most people were night fishing. I did not. Tough lake, I won’t be going back

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

I think the house we have rented is actually on Andrusia Lake, so will probably start there work my way out Cass.

Anybody have a highly recommended bait shop in the area?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I was up there a couple years ago and stayed on Andrusia. It was mid August, fishing was tough. The walleyes we did catch were on Andrusia. Deep weedlines, snap jigging plastics is all that worked for us.

mojogunter

Unless it is windy the best bite on Cass is at night. Tough bite during the day as others have said.

David Blais

There is a bait/pawn shop right in Cass Lake next to the grocery store. The guy there was very helpful.

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Forgot to post a report. Fishing was tough we found some good meals worth of perch so we didn’t get today skunked but never found any walleyes or other panfish. I honestly don’t think I saw more than a handful of bluegills the whole trip and definitely didn’t catch any. MDs Bait and Pawn shop is definitely a go to place.

isu22andy

Any update on this body of water? Planning to spend a 3-4 day weekend up in that area for walleyes pike and musky. Have a cabin rented on Andrusia . Just the wife and I . Any PMs appreciated. Thanks

LabDaddy1

Hey bass thumb- if andrusia is directly connected to cass and is full of weeds, for me that begs the question of why haven’t the rusty crayfish spread to there and done their damage?

Edit: I see it is connected to Allen’s bay, which you said has the most weeds in cass. So maybe the crays just haven’t made their way to that part of cass yet, somehow? And just realized it’s an old thread…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I’ll be up there over Memorial weekend. Staying on Little Rice lake and searching mostly for panfish. Looking forward to this as those lakes hold some fantastic sized panfish in huge numbers.

Few tips. Search the weed beds and keep moving til you locate fish. Wind is not typically your friend for this. Bring a good supply of beetle spins and a variety of light jigs and small panfish plastics. Mix in some dark plastics. Check in the reed beds and cabbage on the deep side of the beds. The crappies will use both areas. Make sure to fish the first few hours of daylight.

Umy
    South Metro

Was just up there for opener.
    Marked up a Map for you.
    We went to Red on Sunday and got our 3 person limit on walleyes in just under 3 hours.
    On Andrusia where the yellow line covers the lake name is a bar that comes way out – we trolled that for eyes. Below it where the river empties into Andrusia is a weedline that has always been productive for us and Lindy rigs.
    Buddies place is on the river wheere the bridge crosses between Andrusia and Wolf. On wolf I marked the weedlines we troll with Lindys and usually do well.
    On the little lake right above “River” in Mississippi I have a yellow dot and an exclamation point. Great spot for panfish and Bass.
    You have to snake u channel for about 2oo yards and if you have a MN lakemaster map chip just follow or follow the current – pretty cool spot back there.
    have fun!

Attachments:
    1. Wolf-andrusia.jpg

Umy
    South Metro

Crap, I’ll resend the RIGHT map

Umy
    South Metro

Here it is

Attachments:
    1. Wolf-andrusia-final.jpg

isu22andy

Umy thanks a ton ! Any musky sightings or they leave ya alone ??

Umy
    South Metro

Not from me – I have a buddy who has the cabin on the river who hunts Cass for them. Says it is really productive but……. not a real “sharer” when it comes to muskie info coffee

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.