Candle Lantern

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I just received my order today. These things are cute as a bug and look VERY capable in the right scenario.
    I just wanted to share. My wife has a million of those candles laying around so I have fuel forever.
    Mine came in green. Found on Amazon for less than $20.

Attachments:
    1. 81gBIQxzLeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

bigcrappie
    Blaine

This would have been great in 1880’s LOL

Deuces

First step on becoming metropolitan are fancy hiking pants

Second step are tea light lamps

Last and final step is a fancy mustache, flannel Patagonia baseball cap drinking a mango eucalyptus ale concocted in your basement.

You’re almost there bud! toast

That would be pretty cool for some seggsy time in the tent, may have to order one woot

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

“Last and final step is a fancy mustache, flannel Patagonia baseball cap drinking a mango eucalyptus ale concocted in your basement.”

I have a mustache, a Patagonia shirt and I made mango martinis over Christmas.

I’m scared……. shock

Deuces

Ha!

Embrace your COEXIST bumper sticker that’s coming chased

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Ok!

Attachments:
    1. 51SXzA6QzeL._AC_UF8941000_QL80_.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

IMO, some of the best emergency equipment you can have would be an old-school white gas Coleman lantern and a white gas Coleman stove.

The lantern gives you a tremendous source of both light AND heat. A single lantern will keep a moderate-sized room comfortably warm.

The Coleman stove gives you cooking, of course, but also it gives you the ability to boil drinking water which often will be necessary even with city water in the case of a power failure.

The white gas has an indefinite shelf life, and a few gallons I estimate will keep us going for up to a week if necessary. We haven’t had a big ice storm in the Cities for about 20 years, but one good ice storm can make things really uncomfortable for several days if you’re not prepared.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Coleman lanterns were the bomb back in the day. If they could have come up with an unbreakable globe I’d probably still use one. I loved the hiss it would make in the fish house on a quiet night.

picklerick
    Central WI

In my late teens, we’d camp out under a rural railroad bridge and bank fish for cats all night. I’ve slept many nights by the Coleman lantern using a Hot Spots map for a blanket. If the ground was wet, the cooler was my bed.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I got mad at mine 30 years ago and threw it in a gas station trash can only to find out later my fuel was bad. Once you open the fuel can it will eventually go bad. Either that or I didn’t tighten the cap. I had it since I was 16. I sure regret that moment.
    Luckily I have an even older one from my late FIL but have not used it yet.
    I have two LP lanterns that are easier to use in a pinch.

Riverrat

White gas is expensive and hard to find. I use alcohol for most of my real survivalist stuff. You can make an alcohol stove for the price of one milwaukees best ice, and a small drill bit. Remember those old Avon cars with the nasty aftershave in them. It’ll even burn that. If your really in a pinch you can even burn your alcohol in it.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I have an original one since the 1980s. Converted from wax candles to lamp oil with an insert. I carry it as part of my survival kit stil today. The lantern with one of those heavier space blanket makes a great get warm quick shelter.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Riverrat, I just found an alcohol stove in a batch of survival stuff I had purchased years ago and ticked away for a rainy day. It’s a Trangia. I finally got around to putting some denat in it and using it, pretty cool and seems like it will burn for a long time on one little batch of alcohol.

Any recommendations on a simple but effective wind block/ pot stand for it?

Riverrat

I used a Fosters beer can. It really didnt work that great but it gave me an excuse to try fosters. This video is pretty close to how I stored and carried my stove.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

White gas is expensive and hard to find.

Every Walmart has it and it’s $15 a gallon. Not expensive at all when you realize how many disposable propane cylinders that gallon of fuel replaces.

Cheap and easy insurance against a power failure.

mann4ducks

Used extensively on ski in winter camping trips in the 80s&90s don’t have to worry about co and will heat up a pack in tent. We still carry one in emergency kit for mountain travel in CO. Great buy , gas equipment co concerns and alot of wt when pack in hunting seams like we still ended up with 80# packs. Horses or lamas easier but a lot of work taking care of. Those were the days

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I got one of these, intrigued by this post. I like it. Tea candles are dirt cheap. I lit one, it burned for 4 hours before I put it out because I had to leave. Good, cheap, easy to pack light source and in a pinch, small heat source too. I found I could warm my hands above it. Thanks for posting!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sweet! I haven’t tried mine yet so glad to hear they are purposeful.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.