Canadian Money

• Weekender
    Southcentral MN

We cross into Ontario at I’Falls/FF. We’ve always gotten Canadian money from our local bank, but they aren’t doing that anymore.

Any place in I’Falls where we can exchange a couple grand American $ to Canadian $???

CaptainMusky

IM guessing the place you are going to spend money doesnt accept cards? If they do just use your card it will convert it for a minor fee, but its super convert. Otherwise I am of no help unless you can find an ATM on the canadian side Id guess.

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Yeah, we could do that, but just trying to avoid the fee. Could use American money to pay for the cabin, but we don’t get the current exchange rate and lose out on some $.

I’m a little bit of a penny pincher. lol

CaptainMusky

We just came back from a resort and they charged in USD and it was ridiculous for what we got. It was $565 per guy (10 guys) the cabin didnt have a cooktop, had a dorm size refrigerator and we were a bed short so my son slept on a cot. We wont go back. THe fee you’d pay using the card or at the ATM is far less than paying them in USD since the exchange rate is .76 right now. I think the card fee is like $5.

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Oh, ok. I was thinking the card fee would be a percentage…. like 3% or similar. But if it’s just a few $, then we’ll just use it. Thanks!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Last year when I went to Canada I called my bank in advance to order canadian $. They told me not necessary because they keep it on hand. This year I went into the bank the day prior to our trip and was told they no longer keep it on hand and needed to be ordered in advance. Out of luck. Not enough time. Luckily at the last Gas stop we made just shy of the Canadian border they offered money exchange. Was able to get canadian cash right there for the current exchange rate. This while using the Pembina Border crossing. Maybe a Gas station near your border crossing will have the same service.

CaptainMusky

Good info FT. You might want to check with your bank to know for sure if it’s a flat rate or percentage. Mine was flat rate. Even 3% is better than giving away 24 percent at current exchange

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Does the resort charge the cc fee? The credit card doesn’t care what kind of money it is, just select CDN when you pay. I’ve been to many countries and used different cards around the world and have never been charged a currency fee. If the resort takes a cc and doesn’t add on a 3% fee (people do this because that’s what the cc companies charge for the card useage) then using a cc is going to be your best route.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I know lots of the business’s in Canada really appreciate it when you use good old Canadian cash. Like here in the good old USA. Often Cash will get you a discount or at least some extra friendliness and service. They don’t like the paper trail that Credit card usage leaves anymore than some US business’s.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

You can also convert your American $ to maple syrup. They accept that anywhere they accept Canadian $!!! jester

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

When I cross I just stop at the bank in Fort Francis and exchange currency. Exchange any leftover back before I leave.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Call Border Bobs and see if their exchange is open yet. 218-283-4414

Ripjiggen

You can also convert your American $ to maple syrup. They accept that anywhere they accept Canadian $!!! jester

Or Labatts but do t try and give them American Labatts they will immediately know the difference.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/merchants/credit-fees-merchant.html

due to lawsuits last fall merchants in Canada are now allowed to surcharge you for using a credit card a maximum of 2.4% and must tell you if they do and it must be listed separately on the receipt. for reference, that’s $24 on $1000 purchase. instead of this surcharge, a business can charge a convenience fee for using a credit card. (but not both the fee and the surcharge.)

the difference between those two is really all about who gets “blamed” for the extra charge. the surcharge allows the merchant to blame the credit card companies and is a limited amount, the convenience fee puts the perceived blame on the merchant and can be higher. either way, it’s worth evaluating if you want to do business with them based on how much they charge.

similarly, Visa and Mastercard charge a currency conversion of around 1% and the bank issuing the card typically charges a conversion fee of 1-2%. so another $25 or so on $1000.

i’m taking the family up to Lac Seul next week, and the credit card fee will probably tack an extra $150 USD onto our trip cost. i like the convenience and security of the card over cash, so i’ll just pay it. if that cost was being divided amongst individuals on a buddies trip it would be even less.

Jason

I don’t bring any Canadian money across into Sask anymore. Been there done that and I end up with alot of leftovers coming home. Some of the Co-op’s will let you overcharge your C/C on gas purchases and give you Canadian money back in change. That’s what I have been doing for the last 5 years or so. Just enough to get by and the rest goes on C/C.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Just walk into any bank nearby and ask. That’s what I do. I am right by the border though so maybe that’s why they all have a bunch on hand.

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Thanks guys. My dad said he found a place in I’Falls that sells/exchanges Canada money. So we’ll stop there.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.