Canadian fly in.

• Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

My family wants to do a fly in for a 60th birthday near the end of July next year. Primarily will be walleye fishing. As a rule is it that much better fishing vs say driving to Lac Seul or another Canadian lake? Any suggestions?
    Thanks Bob.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Lac Seul seems like it can be the best of both worlds, but also bigger water(and more fishermen). A lot of the fly in options offer smaller more wind-protected lakes where numbers of walleye will be fantastic.

Is your group more interested in numbers or size? IMO, if you are after a trophy you should head to bigger bodies of water up there(Lake St. Joseph, Lac Seul, etc.). If you want numbers, there’s tons of fly-ins that you can go and catch 15-20″ fish until your heart is content(with usually some mid-20s fish mixed in).

I’ve fished Lake Carling and Raggedwood Lake through Winoga lodge and we caught hundreds and hundreds of walleyes. I didn’t count the total number of fish but my buddy and I had over 100 doubles in 5 days on Raggedwood. Biggest fish was ~25″ on both lakes. Carling has some smaller lake trout too which is kind of cool.

That’s not to say you can’t catch a trophy on some of those smaller lakes, but I just think your odds are better on the big water. Of course, your odds of being stuck in the cabine while the wind howls goes up as well.

big_g
    Isle, MN

How many people ? I know several, but depends on group size. I have done the drive to’s and the fly-ins. I will only do fly-ins now. mrgreen

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

Thanks Phil. We are looking between 4-8 people. Thanks

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Call northwest flying….near nestor falls so it’s an easy drive from the metro area. They have a handful of fly in lakes that can accommodate your group. Good outfit if you want to do a fly in.

Note that they don’t outfit you at the cabins….on your own for the time you stay there. Great time to fish and spend time with the family completely disconnected from others.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

x2 what phil said.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.