Morson – LOTW ?’s

• Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Hi,

Heading up to LOTW in a couple weeks. I will be doing some walleye fishing with a few buddies. Not that I am completly clueless gear wise, but perhaps I am close. What should I be looking to take up ? Jigs, spinners, bottom bouncers ? Any input would be appreciated as I generally fish for muskie.

Pal

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Pal,

Of the years that I was up there, we stayed at Red Wing Lodge a couple years and rented a houseboat for several years up there. Crankbaits were very productive for us but we do not like bringing in any bait. Jigs and grubs and cranks were our best producers. The crankbait bite can be excellent. We concentrated on the bigger open areas in the middle of the islands to the east a bit from Red Wing lodge. We also did real well trolling for walleyes down by the Kings Island area.

If you get a chance, portage your boat into Whitefish Bay for the day. Real clears water and the smallies and pike were real good. It was a fun change of pace.

lunzer
    Burnsville, MN

I’ve gone out of Morison numerous times, but mostly fished out around the McPherson Island area. I havent fished in that area for several years. But what I can say is that the walleyes should be up on the reefs when you get there, so dont hold back on the live bait and jig setup. Or a lindy setup for that matter. Try all positions of the reef, up, down, upwind, downwind, top, bottom. They should be there somewhere. Live bait can be a bit tough to get up that way, and check the current laws on bringing bait into Canada. I think you can only bring crawlers in commercial bedding across the border.

I’ve also done real well trolling crankbaits across the top of reefs, especially in the evening when they move atop the reef. Although with the WICKED rocks around there, that can get expensive.

There is certainly a LOT of structure for you to work, you wont run out of places to go.

Have fun

I’m jealous !

kurtkid
    South metro

I would use a 2oz bottom bouncer 6 ft Leach/ crawler harness hammered gold or silver #4 spinner. Make sure you have a rod holder your arm will get plenty sore holding on to that rig all day long.

Paulski

Thanks for all the tips. I am staying at Buena Vista Resort, and if I remember correctly, they supply minnows to other resorts up there. I will look in to bring up some worms. Looks like I need to visit sportsmans warehouse for some other stuff…

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Quote:

I’ve also done real well trolling crankbaits across the top of reefs, especially in the evening when they move atop the reef. Although with the WICKED rocks around there, that can get expensive.

This brings up a trip of ours in July one year, we trolled bottom bouncers with a short lead and a junior shallow thunderstick in the firetiger color. This was a result of pitching and trolling cranks over the reefs and losing a few. The bottom bouncers did the trick for us and boated some really nice fish. Just a thought if you are up on a sticky part of the reef.

Good luck.
    Let us know how your trip went when you get back!

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

Quote:

Thanks for all the tips. I am staying at Buena Vista Resort, and if I remember correctly, they supply minnows to other resorts up there. I will look in to bring up some worms. Looks like I need to visit sportsmans warehouse for some other stuff…

We have a cabin on Hanson Bay, which is about three bays over from BV. If you’re not using a guide, talk to Richard who’ll let you know some fantastic spots. BV is a very, very good fish producer for their guests.

If you go for walleyes, I’m a big fan of trolling spinners when reef fishing. You can naroow your color choices down to hammered gold, hammered silver, hammered gold or hammered silver. Every once in a while, try hammered gold . . . I prefer the longer length bouncers that clip on to the little black plastic clevis. I’d pick up a few 1 oz, 1 1/2 oz and 2oz weights (before you head up). We have success trolling with minnows, leeches and Gulp crawlers. Or, if it’s a nice drift wind, we’ll drift over spots on reefs with a jig and minnow. Finally, try trolling Firetiger orgold/black Shad Raps or Huskys during the evening – either over the reefs or islands with deeper points and/or rip rap shoreline.

As for ski’s, start early am. One spot fairly close is the back section of Burrows Bay. There’s some nice small islands off some nice long weed lines. Black bucktails with gold spinners. Otherwise McPherson is a great destination, Witch Bay area too. Look for the traditional spots like saddles on the map. Again, BV will point you in the right direction.

BV is a good bait shop, but prepare to shell out some dollars up there (it was $5 a dozen – no such thing as “scoops” in Morson – over Memorial Weekend). They have a clean resort, good food, great Red River bread and they’ll get you on fish. Have fun.

Paulski

Hi Fisherman J,

Thank you kindly for all the information on walleyes and ski’s. As first timers looking for walleyes, we will be getting a guide to show us around. I spoke to the resort a few days ago, and they said to bring my wallet, so I will make sure it is in my truck…

Pal

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Pal,
    We rented a houseboat out of Morson a couple years ago too fishing muskies. I brought my wallet too and left the nice guys at the Morson Marina 4K for a brand spank’n new lower unit. Oh, be very careful and watch for rock piles. You will definitely enjoy your trip.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Fisherman J is right about the hammered gold and hammered silver. However, you couldn’t get me out there without orange blades in the arsenal!

If gold isn’t producing, orange is!

Paulski

Many thanks to all for the advice and help. We mainly were jigging, but we also did a little bottom bouncing with spinners.

We had quite the winds for 2 of the three days we were there. I have to think a small craft advisory is not a good thing and we pretty much stayed off the main lake basin and reefs even with a nice 18 foot lund fisherman.

The lake did settle down on Saturday, and when it did, it was not long before we got our limit for 3 guys.

The guide out of Buena Vista was great putting us on the fish, and in driving the boat through the wind and waves. I can see why people go up a week at a time, as with short trips, it is hard when the weather does not turn for a couple of days.

Pal

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.