Lake Winnipeg Walleye Trip

• mike_anderson
    Alborn,Minnesota

During the week of March 23rd through the 28th, I had the opportunity to head north to Lake Winnipeg to target some Big Walleyes. This was not one of the more difficult decisions I have made to say the least.

We stayed on the East side of the lake and that is the side that we concentrated on. Monday was fairly slow for us, landing about 14 fish with most of them being eater fish. We did however; have quite a few fish coming in to look at our baits but we couldn’t convince them to hit. Tuesday ended up being a little better day after some fine tuning. We were using live targets on monday and alothough we didn’t have trouble calling the fish in, for the most part they wouldn’t commit to the fairly large baits. Switching to the forage minnow on tuesday helped us quite a bit. We landed 32 fish on Tuesday with the largest being a healthy 27 incher.

Wednesday ended up being a day I will never forget. My partner called in a hog with his live target. He was working her for quite awhile before I switched my lure to a rattling flyer spoon tipped with a half of a glow white ringworm, which happens to be a great bait for me near home when the walleyes aren’t slamming baits. I convinced her to bite and she ended up being 32 inches and weighed in at 12lbs 8ozs. What a fish to say the least.

Thursday we caught 27 fish over 24 inches and the most surprising thing about it was the weather. Thursday was the most wind we had the entire time we were there but it sure did turn the fish on for us.

Overall it was a great trip and lots of memories were made. It was a great end to a great ice fishing season for me near duluth. I will look forward to heading to Lake Winnipeg in the future.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Congrats on a great trip and a fish of a lifetime

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Awesome job Mike! I’m sure Vandy is proud of ya!!!

Everts Fishing Resort
    Inactive
    Hager City WI

awesome fish mike,ok im jealous!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Good job figuring them out and congrats on your big girl Mike!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Winnipeg is a very special place for trophy walleyes. It amazes me the amount of large fish a person can catch thru the ice. Congrats on landing a beast of a fish. 27 fish over 24 inches will make memories for all!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

What a Hawg Mike, that’s all I can say!

mike_anderson
    Alborn,Minnesota

Thanks alot guys!
    It was a great trip and learning expierence.

waterice
    Elk Point, SD

I am wanting to go do this soon and wondering if you did this with or without a guide. Where did you guys stay at? If you dont mind sharing.

mike_anderson
    Alborn,Minnesota

We stayed at southbeach. And no we did not hire a guide but from what I have heard there are quite a few guides available up there. Good luck

waterice
    Elk Point, SD

Thank you for the info.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.