Camping at Frontenac and fishing Pepin

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Hopefully heading down to Pepin in June this year for a weekend, better off early or late June? Any campsites to avoid or favorites at frontenac? Best places for cleaning fish? Launch pontoon? Eat at with a dock on the river? Thanks in advance!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Pepin Wisconsin has a nice dock and a restaurant right there. Or at least they did. Read’s Landing just below La Cupolis at the foot of Lake Pep also has a brewery and restaurant. They have a service dock there…food is like the beer….pretty decent.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

How about harbor bar? Did I see they will cook my fish for me BK?
    Pickle factory?
    Lake city have any public docks?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

How about harbor bar? Did I see they will cook my fish for me BK?

Harbor Bar? lol

They only cooked fish BK brought in…once. Because he was in there every night running up a big tab drinking Hamm’s. Keep the regulars…”regular”. jester

You? You would have a much better chance of a dude standing on your picnic table “jamin” than them cooking your fish…at “The Harbor” toast

Attachments:
    1. harbor.jpg

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Also, how much do they enforce the “no intoxicating beverage “rule at frontenac? Can I have a beer sitting by my campfire? Or are they really strict?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Dustin, you can camp for free on the sandbars in Wabasha. The nicest boat launch is in Roschen park in Lake city. People say it is bad when the wind blows but it beats the bumper boats in Wabasha. Best fish cleaning facility I have ever stepped foot in as well. Love the harbor bar and it is also a must stop. I recommend the bilge burger. best burger I have ever laid my mouth on….period. Slippery’s in Wabasha is where many dock up and eat but the food is aweful so that may be a good place to hydrate for brunch, then have lunch at the HB in red wing. lots of great places to fish along the way. that time of year, I would drift the can line down river from red wing.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

For food, Pepin has some solid options. The Garden Pub is 2 blocks from the river but will pick you up in their stretch golf cart for free. They have the best food in Pepin with a fun dining experience. The Pickle Factory is decent, but crowded. Reads Landing just beneath the “Lake” has solid food and beer. There’s no dock though and it’s tucked between wingdams on a busy part of the river on the opposite side of the RR tracks. It’d be a better option to drive there in a vehicle. Slipperys is a decent option for drinks, but not a meal.

The landing in Pepin by the Pickle Factory is nice for launching but parking is minimal. The Stockholm landing is a great overlooked option but they do not put in a dock. I hate even mentioning this landing as it is never busy and has literally no pleasure craft in this area of the river. Their campground has openings generally as well for RVs or tents. I’d stay away from launching in Wabasha on a weekend. The ride in the channel can be miserable on weekends. The landing North of Lake City right off highway 61 is decent as well with ample parking. It’s a bit steeper and has a short dock. Maps may show a “landing” in Maiden Rock on the WI side but it’s anything but that. You could walk out 100 yards without finding 3′ of water in late June.

As far as fishing goes P4 is a huge body of water with people on fish year round. It all depends on what you’re looking for. Backwater panfish options I’d say earlier is better. Wingdam multispecies action usually picks up later in the summer if that’s your preference. White bass can be phenomenal later in the summer also. Long lining cranks or pulling leadcore can be effective for most species from late April through October. Some big bluegills are easy to target later in the summer on wingdams. Early summer eyes can be found on shallow points or the can line on the North end. Pike seem to be ready and willing year round near the Rush River mouth.

There are better minds than I for far upper P4 during the summer. I know there’s some great options that way year round as well.

Remember that P4 is a river and levels can be very unpredictable. I’ve seen many Junes with average flow and many with flood stage waters. Use caution and have a great time.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks for all the great info! Probably will start off targeting walleye and if I stumble across some bonus bluegill it will be a plus. So if staying at frontenac, just best off driving down to roschen to launch?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Any bait shops around lake city anymore?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I think we are planning on June 7-9.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

There is a launch at old frontenac that is nicely maintained but not much for parking. You basically have 4 options on the MN side. Baypoint and Colville up river in red wing or hoksila and roschen in LC, or wabasha parkside…that is usually a zoo. The 2 in red wing have tons of parking and likely less busy. As for bait, I always stop at the gas station in LC by the burger king. Only place I know of. 4 seasons in RW or shorty’s in west newton are a couple others. Shorty’s is a must see attraction if you have never been there!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks for all of the information, think I will plan on launching at Roschen, I can stop by us gas if I need anything and the park has a cleaning station if we catch enough for dinner! Does roschen fill up early? Or depending on the flow and the weather?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

As for bait…. shorty’s in west newton [Kellogg actually] Shorty’s is a must see attraction if you have never been there!

Really, the real attraction passed away a number of years ago, but Shorty is just that. Short.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

It has been a decade since I been there……shorty was quite the character, sad to hear of his passing. Roschen does not fill up like other landings, likely because some feel it is tough to launch with the current and short dock but you will be fine. Ive had a harder time launching out of Hoksila due to wind and traffic.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks eyeguy, I appreciate your tips.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Really hoping this rain stops, starting to get ridiculous.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

It has been a decade since I been there……shorty was quite the character, sad to hear of his passing. Roschen does not fill up like other landings, likely because some feel it is tough to launch with the current and short dock but you will be fine. Ive had a harder time launching out of Hoksila due to wind and traffic.

I know this is 3 months old, but Shorty didn’t die, his wife did. She was a character and a half. Shorty is still selling bait and telling people that the fish are hitting…. ever the eternal optimist he is. Or just lying. lol You can figure it out. Shorty has to be getting up there in years. Good guy, terribly wise to the river….just a character. lol

But Dustin you should take a couple hours with the wife/kids and run to Kellogg just to stop in and see an “old school” bait shot, then take the family across the highway to Lark Toys where they have a huge carousel inside that the kids can ride on and they can see actual animal caricatures the rid uses being carved and painted. Fun places, both of them. Time well spent. Stop in at Reads Landing Brewery on your way back to Lake City and have a cold craft beer and watch the river flow by. Plus there’s a small winery just north of Hok-si-la at Hansons Harbor. Unique wines, small winery…not fancy but good wine.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks Tom! Not sure if we will fit that all in this trip. But I plan to be back! Do you know if Hanson harbor has pay launching or at what height the launch floods there? Or lake city harbor? Just looking for backup options since the rain won’t stop. Also. Does pepin marine have any public docks? Or pay docks if the pickle factory doc isn’t in? I plan on making some calls next week once it’s a little closer. Wasn’t sure if anyone here already knows the answer.

Lil Guppy
    Lake City, Mn

Dustin, both Hanson’s Harbor and the Lake City Marina allow you to pay to launch. I believe it is $10. They are both open now. Pepin Marina allows you to park on the transient dock for $10 as long as you want. I was just there on Saturday. The Pickle doesn’t have their dock in yet. Call the Garden Pub and they will pick you up on their golf cart limo for free to go up there. I prefer their food over the Pickle but the Pickle isn’t bad either. Have a good trip while your here.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

With all the dead water laying around in the trees and woods around the campground area bring plenty of repellant. And itch relief.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks for the info! Exactly what I was looking for! Very excited!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.