Campfire smoke and deer hunting

• dbright
    Cambridge

The Gf and I are planning on getting out bow hunting and camping this weekend and showers are not a option since we will be boating to are campsite and to where we are hunting. If I was rifle hunting I don’t know that I would care but this being are first year bow hunting and wanting to limit are shots well under 30 yards I know scent is going to play a bigger role then reaching out with the rifle. I have read a lot of different arguments both directions of it being harmful to your hunt or beneficial. What is your guys take on smoke smell and bow hunting?

saddletramp

If they can smell the smoke, they can smell you. Smoke smell won’t bother them. Your smell will!
    Actually, the smoke smell will help mask your smell.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Personally, I would avoid it. IMO adding any strong smell to your clothing just increases the chances the deer will detect you. I don’t know weather or not the smell of smoke spooks them and under what conditions, but anything to me that increases the strength of a smell carried on my clothing is a bad thing.

Grouse

Jeff Heeg
    USA

I knew some folks that were paid to harvest big bucks so all of us could watch some good stuff on TV, before they left camp they always smoked up their outer clothes with the white belching smoke of smoldering oak leaves.

JH

castle-rock-clown

I would rather smell like nothing, but given I have to smell like something I would rather smell like smoke to a deer than smell human.

Chance R.
    South Central S.D.

I would avoid the smoke unless its near an area where fires are frequent and normal to the deer. Just my .02 of course. Report back on how it works out for you waytogo

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Cold showers!! Lol.

Smoke is better then B.O.

I’m a cig smoker. Masks my scent, but deer still stop dead in their tracks when they catch a wiff. They’re alarmed, but not as much as they would be after a few days and no shower.

Play the wind and hope for the best

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Moisture on the ground helps hold the scent of any doe that’s coming into estrous. Bucks will follow those scents with their nose to ground like a bloodhound because I’ve seen it happen, take advantage of the moisture and keep dry, dry ground doesn’t hold much scent at all, ask the bird dog hunters what moist ground does when it comes to holding scent, dogs along with bucks go nuts.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.