CABIN BUILD IDEAS

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Architect?
    Must be rough. tongue

So you talking a hot roof situation?

If so, frame in a 2″ “soffit vent” from eave to ridge and install ridge vent.
    Then use a combination of spray foam and fiberglass batts. With 24″ deep “rafters” you should be ok.

PS. I would love to see your plans.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

BTW –
    I’m out in NC visiting the Belle this weekend and came across these. Can’t wait to thumb thru em.

Attachments:
    1. FLW-scaled.jpg

Nodakk

We have a 8/12 pitch with parallel cord trusses in our main kitchen/living area. Ended up with something very similar to what EPG described. Been fine so far this first winter

stout93
    Becker MN

Following all the advice here you’re going to end up with an $800k cabin..

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

Following all the advice here you’re going to end up with an $800k cabin..

HEY NOW! We are good at spending other peoples money grin

reddog

Not sure why foam alone wouldn’t work in the vault. One other way would be to reduce the overall height of the parallel chord truss and put a SIPS panel on the top side or do a drop in SIPS panel with trusses 4 feet on center.

Dragginbottom

I would look into the sip panels we are on the finishing side of a sip panel build with a open loft. We did 8 1/4” walls and 12” roof panel 10/12 pitch roof on great room r33 walls and r50 on the roof if you have any? Let me know Terry

B-man

Thanks for the suggestion on SIPs!

That solves virtually every concern/design issue that I was running into with the roof insulation and rafter layout to get a room in attic or loft in half of the cabin.

They obviously cost more than piecing everything together during the build (trusses, roof sheathing, insulation, vapor barrier), but the time savings and energy efficiency are incredible.

Thanks again guys!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

SIP’s = good!!!

reddog

If it solves design issues that couldnt be done conventionally, its worth it. Theres always an work around..

SIPS is a nice system. Pretty user friendly. Just make sure you know what you need for wiring or plumbing chases before they put the panel together.

B-man

If it solves design issues that couldnt be done conventionally, its worth it. Theres always an work around..

SIPS is a nice system. Pretty user friendly. Just make sure you know what you need for wiring or plumbing chases before they put the panel together.

10-4

I’m only looking at them for the roof and would stay with stick framing for the walls. Would just need a few runs installed for lights and fans.

Going to ask an electrician buddy today if he’s ever worked with them before, and to see what kind of lighting is compatible.

Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.