Burning

• slabz

A few weeks ago we sprayed a few spots of reed canary grass where we are thinking of putting in some food plots. Everything died pretty well but when we tried to work up the ground with a quack digger, we found there was way too much mass laying down to be efficient. Has anyone burnt a plot this late in the year to cut down on the mass of grass? With the limited equipment I have, this is starting to look like my best option. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

fishingchallenged

Not sure if you would get a burning permit this time of year.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Wouldn’t get a burning permit???? This is the best time of year to burn when everything is green.

castle-rock-clown

As long as you can do it safely, I don’t see why not.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If you’re located south of the Twin Cities into Western WI, getting the permit will not be an issue. The MN river valley may get 8+” of rain between last night and today. shock

fishingchallenged

Things were really drying out on my property in Central MN last week when I was there. I agree, the green is good.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I’m in my first year of food plots, and I’m having the same issue. I just did a few passes with a drag which kinda de-thatched the grasses. I’m going to broad cast seed and then re-drag hoping that knocks the seed down to the dirt. if i can find or make my own cultipacker i will be doing this as well after seeding/ dragging. I’m hoping the grass will act like a cover crop and hold mosture and protect the seed. remember this is my first year and have limited equipment as well. so I will be paying attention to this thread.
    side note I’m in rice county, MN and had no problem getting a permit to burn my brush pile this week,
    not sure about a controlled burn though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.