Bunks or rollers

• Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I found some older threads on this but still had some questions. For the first time I will actually have a choice. Ive ran rollers forever but my buddy does have bunks and its pretty slick to get in and out of a launch. If you are fishing solo a lot would you prefer bunks or rollers? How long do you typically get out of bunks before you have to replace? I dont think shallow launches will be a huge issue for me.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I would go with bunks. The advantages with rollers are shallower loading and unloading, plus not worrying about replacing bunks or carpet. At some point you will probably have to replace the bunk carpet. It eventually wears out. You could replace them with ultimate bunk boards instead. Mike W posted that he uses these and was happy with them recently in another thread.

isu22andy

As a guy who recently forgot to hook up his winch/chain and pulled up the ramp , sure glad I had bunks ha .

Umy
    South Metro

I have only had rollers.
    LOVE THEM. I launch and load solo 85%-90% of the time.
    I can get out of the boat, into the truck and boat on trailer in less than 5 minutes with ease.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have ran 2 boats with bunks and 2 boats with rollers. I actually like them both. They both have pros and cons. I launch in alot of shallow water and the rollers definitely helped more then the bunks on the Croix. But the bunks still worked as well in that situation. If I bought new I would probably lean to bunks, but not for any reasons other then that’s what I have for my current boat and they work. I have froze my boat to the bunks a couple times, that sucks and never happened to my roller when fishing cold weather

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Every high end boat manufacturer uses bunks. That should tell you something.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I’ve had 3 with rollers and my current trailer has bunks. If I used shallow launches the majority of the time is the only reason I’d ever own rollers again.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Bunks.

With bunks you have fewer moving components, it’s easier to load/unload, no need for the Drotto

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Thanks guys! waytogo I wonder why alumacraft upcharges for rollers?

tim hurley

I have bunks but am wondering what the advantage is, are bunks more compact? for saving room in the garage? As far as shallow water I have launched in very skinny water, I back up until it floats, loading can be challenging but I am hoping that my new 2 speed winch helps with this.
    I also have Ultimate Bunk Boards which made my last boat which was much lighter just slide off, not happening with the current rig but they are solid and will never rot.

Michael Best

I have owned a couple boats that had roller trailers and this is my 3rd boat now with bunks.
    The one thing I will add to what everyone else has said is a bunk is almost a guarantee the boat will be loaded strait.

tbruno

One of the most challenging questions to answer when you are purchasing a new boat that’s for sure. I think both have their advantages and disadvantages. I have a Shorelander roller trailer with a Drotto latching system and really like that set up for me personally. The roller trailer works well for loading and unloading at shallow landings, but sometimes can be more difficult to get on straight if your trailer depth is a little off. The drotto makes unloading and loading very easy, weather alone or with someone. With two of us, one backs in and by the time he stops and puts in forward I have unhooked the safety chain and pulled the release and the boat is off the trailer in a few seconds. Loading isn’t quite as fast but usually in and out of the ramp in less than two minutes.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i fish by myself a ton. had both and will never own a roller on purpose.

are there any pros for a roller? only cons if you ask me

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

are there any pros for a roller?

Shallower loading/unloading and no bunk carpet to replace.

Obviously if you don’t use shallow accesses and if use ultimate bunk boards those advantages are a moot point.

Onthewater

I found some older threads on this but still had some questions. For the first time I will actually have a choice. Ive ran rollers forever but my buddy does have bunks and its pretty slick to get in and out of a launch. If you are fishing solo a lot would you prefer bunks or rollers? How long do you typically get out of bunks before you have to replace? I dont think shallow launches will be a huge issue for me.

If you don’t use shallow launches there is almost zero upside to you getting a roller. That’s the only reason to get one besides the rare occasion that it could be frozen to the bunk. Some boats are more prone to this. My friends aluminum will be frozen tight every time in the winter while my fiberglass has only done it once. A minute or 2 in the water usually pops it off the trailer. I can put in and pull out while fully unhooked. Using the ulterra to launch the boat from inside the truck, like I do, would be impossible with a roller

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Biggest thing with a roller trailer is getting it set up right which many I have seen are not which causes issues loading.

As mentioned pros and cons to both my nephew and I have the exact same boat his is just 2 years newer, he has bunk I have rollers. Some landings we use he has to back half his truck in the water to get unloaded where my rear ties are at the edge of the water, same with loading. Deep steep landings with current loading his he has to back in further causing some issue with keeping the back of the boat where it needs to be, where with my rollers dont need to back in near as far the rollers will straighten the boat as it comes on as they do not need to be as deep and if we need to crank up goes with out saying mine is easier. Normal landings his bunks dont have the issue of the boat wanting to slide back off the trailer.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Rollers for this guy. I’ve launched my boat with a roller trailer at launches the boat wouldn’t even be in the water with a bunk trailer unless you back the truck into the water and risk getting stuck (dirt landing). Might get out after launching but probably not after loading.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Bunks. 100% No time wasted rocking your boat, or reloading it 6 times at the launch so it’s level on the trailer. It loads itself straight. I guess if you’re always using super shallow launches rollers might be an option, but I’ve never been to a launch where I couldn’t unload or load the boat because of my bunks.

MX1825

Bunk trailers are cheaper.

pass0047
    Pool4

I have had both for fiberglass boats. Just talked about this last weekend with a friend and we both agreed the easiest loading boat and trailer combos had a roller trailer. Currently have bunks and work very well but that roller trailer I used to own was the most forgiving trailer to load. Could hit at terrible angle and would self correct like a dream. Sure wouldn’t miss out on a good boat because it came with either

tim hurley

I launch in many very shallow launches with my bunks-One launch was shallow and had gooey mud like chocolate pudding, came very close to launching but did not want to get stuck, only place I have had a problem. Many launches I use barely look like launches. Have not used rollers enough to say which is better.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bunks. 100% No time wasted rocking your boat, or reloading it 6 times at the launch so it’s level on the trailer. It loads itself straight. I guess if you’re always using super shallow launches rollers might be an option, but I’ve never been to a launch where I couldn’t unload or load the boat because of my bunks.

I’ve never had to do this with my rollers drive on and either power up or crank it up. Takes 1 time, and running the same boat on 2 different trailers I can load in and out in the back water croix accesses much easier with the rollers. As the river is right now I’d need to have my front tires in the water to get off my bunk trailer.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hodag Hunter wrote:</div>

Bunk trailers are cheaper.

Exactly, they are selling a boat, not a trailer !!!

tim hurley

They usually do not even give you a spare tire! Most put more miles on a trailer than a boat, when we buy we should ask more about the trailer.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Bunks all the way. I’ve had various boat trailers over the years. Bunks, almost zero aggravation. Roller, easily 40% or more aggravation. Even on my flat bottom mud boat with bunks I don’t have the same aggravation as I have had with roller trailers and V bottom hulls.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Alone? Get a Drotto!

billy03z71

I’ve enjoyed having a bunk trailer, especially for loading/unloading solo. Basically just idle onto the trailer then will hop out and crank the last foot. Many of our accesses get blown out by people powerloading and makes it harder for the rest of us, just a side reason I like the bunk set up!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.