Bulk braided line

• huskerdu

Need to spool, re-spool 6-8 reels, looking at 1500-3000yd spools 15-20lb
    Any good buys out there? What’s the best brands?

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I’ve replaced some of my Suffix 832 the last couple years on a few cat/sturg rods (65, 80), a spinning reel w 50, and a couple trolling rod/reels with 20# with Kastking brand braid. 1000m for $40 vs 600yds of suffix for $60 comparing #20. Anyway, I haven’t noticed it wear out any quicker on these set ups that don’t get casted all day and haven’t had any suspect break offs. At the lighter line size I still prefer 832 on a few spinning reels- it seems to hold up longer than the KK.

igotone

do not know what kind of reels you are putting it on, but I use a mono backing to fill spool and top off with 70 yards of braid.
    Tried the sufix 832 a couple summers ago and did not care for it, fell for all the hype!! fads fast and did not out do the Power Pro that I had been using.
    Also use Fireline that does fray but it still is not to bad.

Do not know how deep of water you fish, but for me 70+ yards has worked well for me. that is over 200 feet of line and I can spool my two bait casters with one 150 yard spool.

huskerdu

Thanks for the replies so far, I cast , pitch a lot, don’t own a reel over size 35. I also fish North and South Dakota lakes 3-4 weeks in the summer, with that said pike are tough on line and they make you re-tie a lot. I don’t run backing due to line usage from re-tieing.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Yozuri has spools that are 1000 yrds or more. I just tried it this year. So far, so good

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I don’t run backing due to line usage from re-tieing.

Then how do you keep it from slipping on the spool?

Iowaboy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>huskerdu wrote:</div>
    I don’t run backing due to line usage from re-tieing.

Then how do you keep it from slipping on the spool?

on my older spools,I wrapped a small piece of tape around it,no slippage yet.
    my new reels have spools with rubber inserts that prevent it from doing that.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Suffix 832 comes in bulk spools. You can order em straight from suffix or cabelas

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Walmart on line had 14# berkley nanofil for $11. 150 yard spools. Their prices on 300 yard spools was decent to. Fantastic line. Very thin. Casts a mile. Does not suck up water like other braids so very good fishing below freezing.

huskerdu

Mike, are you casting cranks on nanofil? I have had some wind knot problems when casting cranks last year, first year with nanofil. Could be a leaning curve? You are correct about longer casting distances!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Yes I do. Would stick to heavier test with cranks. 14 would work. 17 better. I haven’t had issues with wind knot. Fish with another guy that does. He is not sure if it’s due to over filling reel or maybe the reel. I don’t fish nano lighter than 10# even on jigs. That thin diameter seems to loose abrasion resistance in the small tests. Could see those smaller tests getting more wind knots to.

CBMN
    North Metro

I had issues with wind knots in shimano reels spoiled with power pro. Likely due to me overfilling then a bit because the issue seems to go away when I get a little less line on the spool. Berkley Nanofill has been great so far and really shines for cold weather over the past two winters on open water. I haven’t tried the new suffix nano product yet either.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.